Chapter 52

Monday 14th November 1966

Jack was on a three day tour of New York but he was cautious about Jackie because she was now six months pregnant. “Mr. President, why isn’t Mrs. Kennedy with you?” A reporter yelled.

“She’s busy with Ambassador work.” Jack replied before getting in the limousine. He glanced at Clint. “They’ll find out soon enough.”

Clint nodded. “How is Mrs. Kennedy coping?”

“Well apart from the mood swings and morning sickness she’s okay, but the most relaxing time is when she’s asleep and I can’t do anything wrong.” Jack said cracking a smile.

Clint chuckled. “I know that feeling.”

“She has a scan today, when you hear anything let me know please. I need to know the baby’s healthy.”

“Of course, Sir.” Clint smiled.

After a speech to the UN he was ushered out the back way followed by a press mob. “Mr. President.” Clint said catching up with him.

“Yes, Clint?” Jack asked looking up.

“Mrs. Kennedy just phoned, she said the baby was perfectly healthy and she has a new scan picture.”

Jack grinned and relaxed. “That’s great.”

“She sounded happy on the phone.” Clint added.

“Good, I’m so happy.”

Clint laughed. Little did they realise their whole conversation had been overheard and the story was out.

Tuesday 15th November 1966

It was 8am and Jack was already stressed. He’d spent an hour trying to calm Jackie down on the phone after every paper had carried the story of the pregnancy. By the time Jack arrived for breakfast he looked annoyed. “Are you okay?” Clint asked.

Jack flashed a glance at him. “I want to punch a bunch of reporters.”

Clint smiled. “I’m sorry it’s partly my fault.” He said. Jack shook his head. “We are entitled to have private conversations, they should have waited to we made the official announcement.”

“I know.” Clint replied. “Is Mrs. Kennedy okay?”

“She’s a little shook up but she’s a tough cookie, she’ll be fine. I think it was just her mood swings.”

Clint nodded. “Would you like me to ask Ethel to drop by and check on her?”

“Yes, Please.” Jack replied.

Clint obliged and went to get it organised. He felt sorry for the President, especially after Dallas and he knew how much of an impact Jackie had made on his life.

After a long day of campaigning, Jack sank into a seat on Air Force One. He was ready for a rest and a sleep before getting back to DC, where Bobby would probably moan at him but he could spend some time with Jackie and the kids.