Chapter 44

3pm

After being flown down to London the President and Prime Minister were driven separately to meet with the Queen. It was in an attempt to dismiss the rumours of their relationship.

Jackie was fidgeting with her engagement ring. She was nervous. “Miss Bouvier.” Agent Philips whispered.

She looked up. “Yes?”

“Are you okay?”

Jackie nodded. “I guess.”

“I’m sure everything will work out okay, Ma’am.”

“I hope so.” She said staring at the floor.

When her car arrived at Buckingham Palace she was ushered to the Queen’s private study. Jack was already sitting waiting. She smiled softly before sitting down beside him.

They waited for a few minutes when the Queen’s secretary appeared. “Ma’am, Mr. President, her Majesty will see you now.”

Jackie nodded and timidly got up. She entered first, followed by Jack who closed the door.

“Miss Bouvier, President Kennedy.” The Queen said standing up. “Please sit down.”

Both of them obliged, they were on edge. “Your Majesty.” Jack said softly.

She nodded. “Mr. President, Miss Bouvier, am I right to say that this is regarding todays paper?”

Jack nodded. “Yes.”

“Is it true?” The Queen asked.

Jackie nodded. “Yes, we’re engaged.” She said. “We tried to stop seeing each other but we couldn’t, it was too difficult.”

Jack nodded in agreement and took her hand.

“How long have you been together?”

“A year.” Jack replied.

The Queen’s eyes widened. “Well… I don’t see any reason why you can’t be together but obviously you’ll have to deal with the distance issue. I personally think it’s nice you are happy together.”

Jackie looked up. “But your Majesty, we have a slight situation….”

Jack looked at her. He nodded at Jackie to continue what she was about to say. “I…I’m pregnant….” Jackie whispered.

The Queen sat back slightly shocked. “Oh…”

“Well…. As much as it pains me to say it you’ll have to resign….” The Queen continued.

Jackie nodded. “I know.”

“But you are one of the best Prime Ministers I’ve ever worked with, you will be sorely missed.” The Queen said. “I hope you know you’ve made a huge impact on British Politics.”

Jackie smiled blushing. “Thank you, your Majesty.”

After agreeing that Buckingham Palace and Downing Street would release a joint statement tomorrow announcing her resignation, Jackie headed home.

Once Jack was alone with the Queen he sat forward. “Ma’am, could I ask you something?”

“Of course, Mr. President.”

He hesitated. “Well you said it yourself, Jackie is a great politician and it would be awful to lose her contribution but I had a thought. You need a new UK Ambassador to the US, why don’t you get the new Prime Minister to appoint her. That way she would be in America most of the time and be close to me and yet she would still be serving her country, which she loves.”

The Queen was quiet for a moment as she thought about it. A smile spread across her face. “I like that idea very much, Mr. President.”

He smiled. “Thank you.”

She nodded. “Thank you, Mr. President.”

Jack headed back to Downing Street. He knew the press would be outraged tomorrow but he wanted to protect Jackie and the baby.