Chapter 42

Saturday 28th May 1966

Gleneagles Hotel, Scotland

Following the Prime Ministers scare in hospital, Tish had cut her schedule during the leader’s summit. Her press secretary at released a statement saying she fainted due to low blood pressure after not eating enough. Yet, some of the world leader’s still found it hard to accept that she was courting the US President.

Jackie was in her room getting ready for the state dinner to mark the end of the summit. She looked the picture of health in her long flowing green evening gown. “Miss Bouvier.” Tish said knocking on her door. “Are you ready?”

“Yes.” She emerged from the room timidly. Tish had a glass of wine in her hand. “Will you be drinking tonight?”

Jackie shook her hand. “I can’t…. I’m on medication.”

“Oh yes, sorry I forgot.”

Jackie nodded and headed down to the ballroom. She was standing at the side of the room when Jack approached her. “Hey, how are you feeling?”

“Tired and the morning sickness is hell.” She whispered.

He looked at her sympathetically.

After the dinner people began to dance and mingle. It was more relaxed than talks had been all week. Jackie was standing chatting to Tish when Jack took her hand. “Come on kid, let’s dance.” He whispered. She reluctantly followed him.

“What if they see us?”

“They all know Jackie, so why can’t we act like we’re together?”

She blushed and nodded. “I like that idea.” She stood close to him as they danced. He was happy.

After dancing they went to talk to the musicians. Jack’s hand rested on Jackie’s shoulder. Without them noticing a photographer took a picture of them.

11pm

Jackie was exhausted. She started to head to her room when Jack took her hand. “Let me help you, Jacqueline.”

Colour rushed to her cheeks as she nodded. When they got to her room Jack followed her in and closed the door. “Golly today was long.” Jackie yawned as she changed into her pyjamas.

Jack smiled and wrapped his arms around her. “Take it easy kid.” He whispered.

Jackie nodded and got cuddled into bed. By the time Jack took his clothes off and joined her she was snoring. He kissed her head and switched the light off. Neither of them knew what tomorrow would bring.