Chapter 26

Sunday 21st November 1965

The Living Room

Jackie sat on the sofa nervously. They were about to tell Caroline and John about their relationship. Jack placed his hands on her shoulders. “Relax Kid.”

She nodded and stared ahead. She watched as they came into the room. John was holding his toy helicopter.

“Kids, can we tell you something?” Jack asked.

Caroline nodded and sat down. John followed his sister and put the helicopter on the floor. It was a replica of Marine One.

“What is it, Daddy?” Caroline asked playing with her hair.

He sat down beside Jackie. “Well…. Ever since your mother died I’ve been lonely and well… Jackie and I are in a relationship, but because of me being President and Jackie being Prime Minister people can’t know we’re together….”

Caroline and John looked at each other and burst out laughing. Jack looked at Jackie confused. “What?” He asked slowly.

“We already knew you were together…” Caroline smiled.

Jack was stunned. “How?”

“We saw you together.” John grinned. He ran to Jackie and crawled on to her knee. “Mummy Jackie!” He smiled.

Jackie kissed his head. “Are you two okay with this?”

Caroline smiled and nodded. “We like you.” She said. Jackie smiled and hugged them both. Jack was touched that his children accepted her.

Jackie went a walk with John. She held his hand. “Are you sure you’re okay with this John?”

“Yes, Mummy Jackie.” He smiled. Jackie blushed and ruffled his hair. “You look like your Father.”

He nodded. “I know, I’ll be President one day like him and boss my Attorney General around.”

She laughed. “You’ll be a good President.”

John hugged her leg. “Thanks.”

10pm

Jackie was getting organised for bed when Jack shouted on her. “Come here, Kid.”

“Eh… Jack… you’re in the bathroom.”

“I’m in the bath!” He exclaimed. “I need to tell you something.” Jackie sighed and went to the bathroom. “What?”

“I love you.” He took her hand. “And I’m so glad the kids are happy.”

She blushed. “Me too.”

He smiled. “I’m sad you have to go home tomorrow.”

She sighed. “I know.”

Jack caressed her hand. He wondered how long it would be before he saw her again. This was hard.