Chapter 10

Monday 17th May 1965

The Oval Office

2pm

Jack was sitting staring out of the window. It was one of his bad days. He kept visioning the events of Dallas. “Mr. President.” Mrs Lincoln came in.

He looked at her. “Yes?”

“The British Prime Minister is here.”

He nodded. “Send her in.”

Jack got up; he plastered a smile on his face and held out his hand. “Miss Bouvier.” He said shaking her hand. “Mr. President.” She replied.

“Sit down.” He smiled as he eased himself into his rocker. She obliged and sat on the sofa next to his rocking chair.

They talked intently about their cold war tactics and worst case scenario plans. Jackie began to mention Vietnam, she notice Jack slightly withdraw from conversation. “Mr. President, is everything okay?” She asked softly placing a hand on his knee.

He jumped slightly and looked at her. His eyes suddenly began to fill with tears. He tried to look away. “I…I’m fine…” He whimpered. Jackie got up and wrapped an arm around him. “Mr. President I’ll leave you alone.”

“No…” He sobbed. He grabbed her arm. “I…I miss her… and I can’t cope anymore…”

Jackie sat back down. She handed him a tissue. “Take a deep breath.”

He composed himself. He turned red in embarrassment. “I’m really sorry Miss Bouvier… I can’t believe I just did that.” He whispered. He felt he had no control over his emotions anymore.

Jackie placed her hand on his. “Mr. President, I understand. Please don’t think I think any less of you because I don’t. What happened can’t be easy to deal with.” She said looking into his eyes.

He rubbed his eyes. “Thank you, I’m still sorry.”

She stood up. “I have to go now; I have a meeting with Richard Nixon.” She said rolling her eyes.

Jack smiled. “You’ll find he is very boring….”

She sighed. “Just great.”

He got up and guided her to the door. “Would you like to come over for a private dinner tonight?”

She nodded. “I’d like that Mr. President…. Please don’t get upset.”

He nodded. “I’ll see you tonight, Miss Bouvier.”

She smiled and closed the door. She was worried about him. Something was bothering him but she wasn’t exactly sure what.