Chapter 5

Wednesday 20th January 1965

10 Downing Street, Private Residence

Jackie had decided to stay up to watch the Inauguration. She was sitting in the dark, the only light from the TV screen. She was shivering as it was a bitter cold winter night. As much as she loved the job she hated the loneliness which came with it.

Jack was standing shaking as he prepared to walk out to take the oath of office for a second time. Joan put her hand on his shoulder. “How are you feeling?” She asked quietly.

“Awful.”

She rubbed his back. “We’ll get through this.”

He sighed and took a deep breath. He waited for his queue to go out on to the balcony.

Jackie watched as he appeared on the screen. He was pale and skinner than she’d remembered.

Jack placed his hand on the bible and raised his other. “I John Fitzgerald Kennedy do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Jackie smiled. She was glad he was the leader of her countries closest ally. “Miss Bouvier?” Tish knocked on her door.

“Yes?”

“We have a briefing for you.”

Jackie opened the door. She saw her chief of staff’s eyes widen as she realised the Prime Minister was wearing slacks and a jumper. “Thanks.” She grabbed the briefing and closed the door.

Back in Washington Jack had managed to grab a break during the parade. He went to his bathroom and grabbed his medicine box. He swallowed it and looked at himself in the mirror. He felt he wasn’t even the same person he was last year. “Jack?” Bobby called.

“Just a minute.”

Bobby sat down on his brother’s bed and waited. Jack appeared looking drained. “What’s wrong with you? Are you on new medication?”

Jack nodded. “I’m fine.”

“What did they put you on now?”

“Doesn’t matter.” Jack shrugged trying to ignore his brother. Bobby stopped Jack going anywhere. “Tell me.”

Jack snapped. “It’s not the medication which is making me look like this!” He yelled. “I’m suffering from depression!”

Bobby’s mouth dropped a little. “Jack,” His voice was soft. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Jack sat down and looked at him. “I thought… I thought you’d judge me….” He admitted.

“Jack…. You witnessed your wife’s brains being blown out beside you… if it didn’t affect you then something is wrong.”

He nodded. “I just feel like life is really difficult.”

Bobby hugged him. “I’m always here for you.”

Jack smiled. “Thanks.”