Chapter 59

Monday 20th January 1969

The Kennedy’s Bedroom, the White House

Jack was standing at the foot of his bed, half dressed. He was sad; this was his last few moments as President. He was lost in thought when Jackie came in wearing her nightgown. “Bunny?”

He turned and smiled at her. “Hey Kid.”

She wrapped her arms around him after fastening his back brace. “How are you feeling?”

“I just realised that if I hadn’t become President, Helen wouldn’t have been killed but if I hadn’t become President I would never have met you or had Patrick.”

She rubbed his back. “Don’t blame yourself for Helen’s death.”

He sighed and kissed her. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Mr. President.” She teased. He grinned and kissed her head. They were standing hugging when Kenny and Tish came in. “Sir, Ma’am!”

Jack rolled his eyes. “I’m looking forward to having privacy again.” Jack said turning to face them. Jackie giggled. “What?” Jack asked.

“The new President is here.” Kenny said.

Jack smiled. “Good luck with him tomorrow, he’s grumpier than me.”

At that moment the President-elect barged in. “Jack! Jackie! Get ready!” Bobby exclaimed.

Jack groaned. “We’re coming, but can people leave so we can get dressed.”

Kenny and Tish obliged and swiftly left. Bobby was about to turn and leave when Patrick toddled in. “Uncle Bobble!” He smiled.

Bobby rolled his eyes. “Hey Patrick.”

Jack started to laugh. “Patrick, why don’t you show Uncle Bobble your new toy.” Jack suggested. Patrick nodded and led Bobby to his room.

Jackie turned to face her husband. She kissed him tenderly. “I’ll see you shortly.”

He nodded and went to get dressed. As much as he would miss being President, he was looking forward to being a full time father and husband much more.

12pm

Jack was seated next to Jackie on the balcony as he watched Bobby take the oath of office. He was proud of his little brother; he knew how hard he’d worked to get to this stage.

After taking the oath Bobby turned to Jack and shook his hand. “Congratulations, Bobby.” He smiled.

“Thanks.” Bobby blushed.

The two brothers exchanged glances before quickly embracing each other. Jackie smiled and kissed Bobby’s cheek. “Congrats, Bobby.”

“Thanks Jackie.”

That night at the Inaugural Ball Jack took Jackie’s hand. “How does the Presidential inauguration compare to the British inauguration?”

She looked at him. “It’s much more spectacular.”

He grinned and pulled her close. His hand rested on her back as they danced. She blushed. “Are you looking forward to the next chapter of our life?”

He kissed her softly. “I am, very much.”

She giggled and squeezed his hand. Just after 1am they headed home. They would stay at Wexford tonight before moving to their new home in Boston tomorrow. Jackie had resigned as Ambassador a few weeks ago. They had agreed they wanted to focus on parenthood than work.