Chapter 38

Tuesday 12th April 1966

10 Downing Street

7pm

Jackie was sitting on the Sofa in a pair of navy slacks and an oversized cream jumper. “Jackie?” Lee called knocking on the door. “Can I come in?”

“Yeah.”

Lee appeared smiling. “So what’s the big news?” Lee exclaimed.

Jackie blushed and stood up; she showed her sister her hand. Lee’s eyes widened. “He didn’t?”

Jackie nodded. “Yes, he did!”

Lee hugged her. “Congratulations Sis!”

Jackie was grinning. “You can’t tell anyone, you are the only other person apart from Jack and I who know.”

“So, how do you plan on marrying him?”

Jackie shrugged. “We don’t know, just be happy for us.” She said looking at her sister. Lee nodded. “I am.”

The White House, USA

Jack was sitting in the Oval being pestered by Bobby. “So, are you still seeing her?” Bobby asked.

Jack sighed and looked at him. “You told me to end it.”

“And did you?” Bobby enquired.

“No.” Jack said. “I did something else.”

Bobby raised an eyebrow and narrowed his eyes. “Jack, what did you do?” He asked.

“I asked Jackie to marry me, and she said yes.”

Bobby’s eyes widened to the size of moons. “You what?” His voice went high. He was stunned.

Jack couldn’t help but laugh. “I’m engaged Bobby.”

“TO THE BRITISH PRIME MINISTER!” Bobby exclaimed. Jack stood up and handed Bobby a picture of the ring. “Calm down.”

“This will never end well, Jack!”

Jack shrugged. “I love her Bobby, and she will be your sister in law one day.”

Bobby sighed and got up. “Ok, Jack.” He walked away. He couldn’t believe his brother seriously thought this could work.