Chapter 45

That evening Jackie decided to finish up some paperwork, leaving Jack alone in the residence. He picked up Jackie’s phone and dialled Bobby’s number.

“Hello?” Ethel asked.

“Hey Ethel,” Jack said yawning. “Is Bobby there? I need to talk to him.”

“Yes, he’s just coming downstairs, are you okay? You sound exhausted.” She replied.

“I’m fine.” Jack said. He planned on telling Bobby what was going to happen tomorrow. “Here’s Bobby.”

“Jack?” Bobby asked picking up the phone.

“Hey Bobby, I need to tell you something…” Jack said before being cut off.

“What about today’s headlines?” Bobby exclaimed. “What were you thinking? You need to be more careful!”

“Bobby, shut up.”

Bobby was silent and waited on Jack to continue. “Jackie’s pregnant and she’s going to announce her resignation tomorrow.”

Bobby gasped. “What?”

“The Queen is going to make her UK Ambassador to the US, so we can be together.” Jack replied.

“She’s pregnant?!” Bobby stammered.

“Uh…. Yeah…”

“Jack! Are you so stupid?!” Bobby yelled. “You need to marry her soon!”

“I know I do Bobby! But just think you and Ethel are expecting another child, I’m going to be a father again. You should be happy for me.”

Bobby sighed. “I’m sorry Jack… I just worry about you… and my future sister in law.”

Jack smiled and hung up. He fell asleep on the sofa, dreading tomorrow. When Jackie came in she found him snoring. She lay down beside him and cuddled with him.

Monday 30th May 1966

At 10am Jack and Jackie sat in front of the TV awaiting the joint press conference between Buckingham Palace, Downing Street and the White House.

The Queen’s Press Secretary appeared first, next to Jack and Jackie’s. “Good Morning.” He said. “It is with sad regret that I announce today Prime Minister Bouvier’s resignation.”

The crowd were stunned.

“The Queen was deeply saddened to learn of her wishes to leave but respected her reason why.” He finished. It was now Pierre’s turn. “The President would like to express his joy and happiness to be engaged to the Former British Prime Minster Jacqueline Bouvier.”

“Prime Minister Bouvier will take up the role as her Majesty’s ambassador to the US.” Jackie’s press secretary added.

The press slowly raised their hands with questions. “Yes?” Pierre asked.

“How long will Miss Bouvier serve before handing her power over to her successor?”

“She will work for four weeks then she will head to America to take up her new post as Ambassador.”

Inside Jack stroked his fiancée’s hair. “We’ll be okay kid.” He said kissing her cheek. She blushed and nodded. “Yes Bunny, we will be.”

He nodded and put an arm around her. She made him happy. He didn’t care what anyone thought.