Chapter 46

Thursday 23rd June 1966

The remaining time of the Bouvier Administration was nearly up, but the last four weeks certainly hadn’t been easy for Jackie. All the hate from the press regarding the relationship between her and the President had been blamed on her and she was dealing with hundreds of horrible articles written about her. To top it all of the morning sickness had been awful.

This was her last full day of being Prime Minister. She was filled with a mixture of emotions, as she loved her job but she really wanted to be with Jack. She sighed and turned around to face the TV.

“Today is Prime Minister Bouvier’s final day as Prime Minister. She of course is part of the biggest political scandal of the twentieth century.” The reporter said. “One wonders what kind of legacy this will leave her.”

Jackie slammed her fist on the table and put the TV off. Has no one heard of anything called love? She pondered.

She was deep in thought when Tish came in with the daily papers. “Miss Bouvier.” She nodded.

Jackie looked up. “Are they… bad?” She asked reluctantly.

Tish nodded. “I’m sorry.”

She shook her head. As her eyes cast over the papers her heart sank. “The President and Prime Minister’s sex scandal.” Read the Daily Express. “Is it real love?” Another said. “Resignation a coward’s way out?”

Jackie sighed. Jack didn’t have to put up with any of this. “Tish…. I’m not leaving this job with a ruined reputation.”

“What are you going to do?” Tish asked.

“Wait and see.” Jackie replied before heading into her room to get dressed for the day. She had a day to secure her legacy.

Just after noon Jackie walked out of 10 Downing Street smiling. The press immediately surrounded her. “Miss Bouvier, what’s your side of the story?”

She smiled; she hoped they would ask that. “Well, I fell in love with Jack.” She said. “I know it wasn’t ideal, but when you find that special someone isn’t it in your heart that you want to be with them?”

The reporter looked stunned. “I…I guess… but you have to give up one of the most important jobs in the world…”

Jackie nodded. “Love isn’t easy, you have to make compromises.”

“How do you feel about becoming an Ambassador?”

“I’m looking forward to it. It allows me to be close to Jack and gives me the challenge to try something new.”

“How do you feel about all this negative publicity?”

She raised an eyebrow. “I hate it but being a politician its part of the job. Yet, just so you all know my legacy will not be brought down because of what you call a ‘political scandal’. I will be remembered for my short period of time in office but also for my sentimental reason for resigning, because there is no scandal. I have done nothing wrong.”

The reporter stared at her as she walked off down the road. She really was a collected woman, and a woman worthy of being Prime Minister.

Jackie smiled to herself. As sad as she was for this part of her life to be over, she was excited about what lay ahead for her.