Chapter 17

Sunday 23rd May 1965

President Kennedy’s Bedroom

Jackie woke with her head on Jack’s chest. She looked around dazed for a few moments. She smiled when she saw his green eyes looking down on her. “Hi.” She giggled.

“Hey.” He stroked her hair.

“No one saw us right….”

“No we’re safe.” He whispered kissing her lips. She blushed and rubbed his back. “Good.”

“I’m going to take you a walk on the beach later.” Jack said sitting up.

“Okay.”

10am

Jackie was standing on the waterfront watching the waves. She could feel her security and the President’s security watching her. She sighed.

Jack came out of the house dressed in slacks and a shirt; he had his traditional sunglasses on to hide the pain in his eyes. “Miss Bouvier.” He called. She turned round and smiled at him. “Mr. President.”

“Clint, excuse us we’re just going a walk.”

“Eh… Mr. President… you can’t go alone….”

He looked at them. “Just wait here.” Jack said guiding Jackie down the beach. “Damn secret service.” He mumbled.

Jackie grinned. “Relax Jack.”

He sighed and sat down beside her on the beach. She stretched out and stared at the sun. “So what did you want to tell me?”

He hesitated. “I… I’m suffering from depression but… ever since I’ve met you I don’t feel as bad… I no longer feel like I want to jump in the river…”

She looked at him. “You really felt like that?” her eyes were wide.

“Yes. I used to have terrible nightmares about Dallas and I’d wake up crying… it was awful.”

“It’s okay Jack, you’re doing okay.”

“Jackie…..” Jack said taking her hand. “I have to tell you something…..” He was cut off by Caroline.

“Daddy!” Caroline exclaimed sitting down next to him. “I brought you a flower.” She smiled.

“Thank you buttons.” He kissed her head. “It’s lovely.”

“Oh and Uncle Bobby’s on the phone.”

He sighed and got up. “Come on then.” He took Caroline’s hand and they went back to the house.

Jackie stared at the sea wondering what he wanted to tell her.