Ch 27: Road Trip

Nini felt like she was going to implode.

Nini could not handle another giggle from Lily's mouth, her longing gazes and touches, and sly digs towards her again. It's been seven hours of this bullshit, and she was ready to roll out the van Lady Bird style. It really didn't help that Ricky was amusing her the whole ride and didn't seem to pick up on the insults Lily gave Nini as usual. During the last four hours of the ride to Salt Lake, Nini plugged in her earphones and went to sleep to avoid them. The only saving grace was the fact that Red would be able to keep her company soon.

Nini perks up when they pull into Red's neighborhood, catching Ricky's attention.

He smiles. "You seem excited."

She nods, not able to fight the smile on her face. "I am! I haven't seen him since earlier this semester!"

"I don't think I've ever seen you so excited to see him in my life."

"Me neither to be honest."

When they arrived in front of his house, Red was already waiting for them at the curb with his belongings. He pops open the trunk and carefully places his things on top of Ricky's before shutting it. He opens the left backseat door and smiles brightly at everyone.

"Hey, guys!"

Ricky grins as he tries his best to face him. "Hey, Red. Long time, no see."

"Always a pleasure seeing you, Big Red." Lily says.

Nini hops out the front and runs over to Red to give him a hug. Red was taken aback but hugged her. "Hey, Neens."

"I'm so happy to see you."

"You too."

"I want to sit back here with you for the rest of the trip."

"Sure, why not?"

Ricky frowns. "What? Why're you moving to the back?"

"So I can catch up with Red. Besides, it seems you and Lily have been chatter bugs since we've gotten in the car. It only makes sense if you sit next to her."

Lily smiles and unbuckles her seatbelt. "I'm okay with that!"

Ricky's smile didn't reach his eyes like it always did.

"Alright."

She got into Lily's former seat and looked over at Red.

"So, how's life been?"

He shrugs. "Life is kinda boring since everyone is in a different state."

"I'm sure you have something to talk about though."

"I could tell a few stories, but I'll tell you after my nap. I didn't sleep well last night since my CPAP machine wasn't working that well."

"Wouldn't you need it for a nap?"

"Nah, I'll be fine since it's not a long nap."

Red made himself comfortable as he laid on his side in the middle seat, his hair grazing Nini's thigh. Nini sighs when she realizes she'd be forced to listen to the couple in the front talk again, so she puts a jacket over her head and watches reruns of shows on her phone.

Two hours later, Nini feels a tap on her shoulder. She removes the jacket from her head and her earphones. She saw Red smiling at her, looking well-rested. "I'm ready to catch up when you are."

Nini grins. "Great, I'll let you start."

"So, you'll never guess what I found in my parents' closet when I was looking for my lost shoe."