Ch 52: One Jump Ahead

It just kind of all happened in a flash.

It just seemed like the right time.

Well, we're not getting any younger.

They're the love of my life.

All common phrases Lily and Ricky received once they shared the good news. Lily immediately told her entire family the night he accepted her proposal. She was quick to inform her mother of the news, and Amanda was beyond thrilled. They immediately started planning the wedding, and Lily's sure this was the first time her mother has ever given her a genuine smile caused by something she's accomplished. It felt rewarding to have finally been the topic of interest of her family that didn't involve putting her down.

Ricky on the other hand was much slower with delivering the news. He hasn't told any of his friends yet, and he asked Lily to not post on social media or inform any of his friends since he wanted to do it. She was completely understanding of his feelings and respected his wishes. Ricky decided that the first person that deserved to know was definitely his father.

Ricky builds up the courage to finally press the call button after staring at his screen for five minutes. Mike answers the phone after the second ring.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite child."

"I'm your only child."

"For now."

Ricky chuckles. "Nice hearing your voice, dad."

"You too, kiddo. What's up?"

Ricky scratches the back of his head. "Uh, where are you right now?"

"Oh, geez. That can't be good."

"Oh, don't worry. It's nothing bad...I hope."

"Yeah, you're not making me feel any better, bud. You sure everything's okay? Do I need to fly out?"

"I'm fine, dad! I'm just struggling to tell you the news."

"What news?"

"Okay, I need you to sit for this."

"Alright, I'm sitting. Go on."

"I uh, I um..."

"Kiddo, I don't have all day. You called during my lunch break."

"Lily and I are engaged!"

The line went silent, and Ricky thought that maybe he hung up.

"Dad? You there?"

"When the hell did that happen?"

"Not the reaction I was expecting."

"Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but I just didn't see that coming. You proposed? When? Where? Why? I'm just at a loss for words."

"You seem to have plenty of words to say right now."

"You know what I mean!"

"Are you not happy for me?"

"Of course, I'm happy since you're happy. You're happy, right?"

"Yeah, yeah...I'm happy."

"Good, that's really all that matters. I suppose I should've seen this day coming since you've been together for so long. How'd it all go down?"

"Well, she was the one who proposed to me. I definitely didn't see it coming."

"Oo, that's untraditional. I like it. Send pics of the rings. I'm sure she got you something far too overpriced."