Ch 47: New York State of Mind

Ricky smiled as he walked to the library. Lily was out of town for the weekend since she needed to go to a mandatory event in Incline Village, which meant Nini was gonna be the one Ricky hangs out with the most this weekend.

He always loved when that happened, but that doesn't mean Walker won't be there to snatch some of the attention away. He had Nini to himself tonight after her shift, but he asked to speak to her before her shift since he couldn't contain the words that have been spiraling in his head for the past two weeks.

He smiles when he sees her waiting for him as she leaned against the wall, playing on her phone.

"Neens!"

She jumps and smiles when she spots him. "Hey!"

He runs up to her and surprises her by lifting her as he hugged her. She giggled as she was airborne.

"Ricky! What's got you all excited?"

He sets her down and holds her arms. "I think I'm going to New York after graduation."

Nini slowly smiles. "You're gonna do it?"

"Yeah, I'm leaning towards it. I mean, I was a little skeptical since I've never actually been to New York with the exception of my mom's funeral, but I don't really count that. I don't really know anyone besides my mom's family, which I also don't count because I have not contacted them since she passed."

"Gina and Ashlyn stay there."

"True, but they live in Brooklyn. I'd stay in Manhattan."

"You said that like it was a far drive. That's like us complaining about going from my house to Park City. You'll be fine."

"Also true. I just think I really wanna do it because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have no idea if I'll ever get this chance even though I have connections through Reginald."

"More of a reason to go."

His smile falters a little. "Yeah, but there's one thing."

"What?"

He rubs her arms. "You won't be there."

She wasn't expecting him to say that. "Ricky–"

"Yeah, yeah. I know I shouldn't make decisions based on other people, but I hate the thought of us being the way we were when I was in Scotland. I despised being that far from you."

She cupped his face. "Ricky, I love that you love me so much to the point where I'm part of your decision factor, but I need you to go to New York so you can be your best self and accomplish your dreams. I'd hate to be the reason to hold you back."

"Yeah, you're right."

"Is Lily moving there?"

"Uh yeah, she said she wouldn't mind staying in New York too. She likes it there, so I guess we all win."

Nini bites her lip. "I'm looking for jobs in New York."

That throws him off. "What, really? Since when?"

"Since the night of your performance. I got some applications from my advisor a few weeks before that and wasn't sure if I'd go, which is why I didn't tell you sooner. Now that you're probably going..."

He smirks. "You're coming because of me?"

She blushes. "I never said that."

"You didn't have to. And to think you were just telling me not to let you hold me back. You little hypocrite."

Her face becomes red as she shoves his arm. "Shut up!"

"Not even Walker going back was enough for you. God, this is a good day."