Ch 2: Growing Pains

Chapter summary: Middle school, AKA: the years of unwelcomed puberty, unrealized feelings, and denial

************************************************

"You know, this show may be musical, but I actually enjoy it." Nini says, biting off the head of a Sour Patch Kid.

Ricky nods and smirks at her. "I told you it was good. I knew one of these days my love of musicals would wear off on you."

"I wouldn't go that far. You've only gotten me to like Hannah Montana and this show, Victorious. I doubt you'll get me into others."

"You said that about Hannah, and now you have the movie soundtrack on your phone."

"You have no proof."

"Mouse, I overheard you stomping around in my room, attempting to learn the Hoedown Throwdown when I was showering the other day. You're not slick."

"Okay, but to be fair, I have to conquer that difficult dance at least once before I die. Also, there's no way in hell a 5 or 82 year old can do it if I can't do it at 12."

"Aren't you a dancer?"

"Not a professional! I just like to dance sometimes."

"All I'm hearing is excuses."

"Oh, shut up."

Ricky and Nini had been relaxing on Nini's couch, watching a bunch of movies and TV shows together. They had started taking turns on who gets to play what genre every other weekend. Today was Ricky's weekend to choose and of course he was going out of his way to force his love of theater and musicals on her.

She wouldn't admit it, but she did like the ones he's played today. She was excited for the movie he had queued next, which was Rocky Horror Picture Show. It looked rather exciting based on the outfit Tim Curry was wearing. She just hopes her mom doesn't come down while they're watching it since it clearly wasn't for children.

Ricky turns his attention back to the screen and sees Beck and Jade cuddling in the background while Tori performs. He found himself gazing between the both of them a lot, admiring how attractive they were.

He's never told anyone this, but he realized he's recently been looking at boys differently. He thought it was just typical acknowledgment that someone is attractive, but he knew it was more than that when he found himself blushing when he saw pictures of handsome men.

The first time was with Harry Styles back in fifth grade. Nini and him were watching a One Direction music video, and Ricky could not take his eyes off of him. He also loved talking to Nini about Harry, both fangirling over his talents and looks. 

Second time he experienced it was when he watched Glee and found himself blushing when Darren Criss or Chord Overstreet appeared on the screen. He didn't really know what to do with these feelings or thoughts since he's never felt them before. He knew he wasn't gay since he still found girls equally attractive, but that didn't explain what he was.

When they finally put on Rocky Horror, Ricky couldn't stop blushing when Frank-N-Furter kept hitting on both Janet and Brad. When his head got too occupied with his confusing thoughts, he knew he had to tell someone. Ricky blushes before he even looks at his best friend. "Um, Nini? Can I ask you something that might sound a little odd?"

She smiles. "Of course."

He plays with strings on the pillow he's been hugging, not looking her in the eye out of fear.

"Is it possible to like guys and girls equally?"

Nini stares at him blankly, blinking as she comprehends what he said. She pauses the TV before answering. "Like, romantically?"