Chapter 54

Chapter 54

*L*

It has been exactly twenty two days since that abrupt broadcast that which had taken over every television station inside of japan. That very same message has been somehow anonymously routed through out the globe. When I had seen the broadcast I was mesmerized. Had this new Kira really grew bold enough to speak to the public even knowing that the actual Kira could retaliate? Or was he just figuring that his message did indeed get through. I would initially have figured that Light himself figured out these cryptic messages but if he had he certainly wasn't showing it. He looked genuinely puzzled over them as day in and day out he would open the files containing the messages in attempts to crack the code.

Glancing up towards Light's computer I could see him gazing at the messages once again as everyone seemed to leave looking more beaten then three weeks and a day ago. The broadcast had been hacked in a way that not even I could figure out. Which would leave me wondering if the hacker wasn't actually Kira herself. I watch as she pauses from leaving looking towards Light's computer, unnoticed by Light himself. She looked absolutely stumped and confused. There was even a sign in her eyes where she has began to doubt these messages all together. So am I to believe Kira hasn't been trying to contact Light?

The possibility is quite high. Knowing that she herself is a hacker and openly admitted to hacking into headquarters it would leave me with little doubt. But, if she had regained her memories. Wouldn't the shell she had covered herself with before have re emerged? Wouldn't she have become that same cold, withdrawn beauty she was? Or is it after all this time she has learned to hide behind lies and deception? If that was true would it also mean that she has been lying this entire time? Logically speaking I would believe nothing else. Yet, those green eyes were still glimmering with the very same innocence that had when she first woke from her coma. A glimmer that couldn't possibly be faked. To top it off she has taken a move out of my handbook and continuously jumps hotels. Relocated rapidly and never with the same time frame or even types of hotels.

I have tried to analyze a pattern as she had done with me when she had bugged my own rooms. But to no avail I have found one. She could just me moving on a whim or a roll of a virtual dice from her Ipad. Either way the hotels are most definitely random. Which I would have thought to be a way to prevent me from watching her if I had not witnessed a conversation between her and Light mentioning something about a possible break in to one of them. He had asked her once again to move in with him but she had refused. She knew not to move in with the enemy and was openly showing she was keeping him at arms length. She gave him her hotel room listing to him only once. After that she has changed hotels a good handful of times. Never staying in the same room for more then three days.

What if that task force and I had missed a few clues from this new Kira? I had thought of that question once already and had been through all over the Kira killings since. They were all usual the usual untimely killings. Some in restaurants, cemeteries, visiting loved ones in or out of hospitals and even inmates just randomly dropping dead. There was nothing at the tips of my fingers. Yet, I still feel as if one if not more of these insignificant deaths were actually crucial to the message itself.

"Ryuzaki." Watari's voice came over the com just as the screen flashed to show his W.

"Yes, Watari? Has she finally began to speak?" I question as I peer into the screen almost as if I could see him. If Misa doesn't give up the information soon...

"I am sorry Ryuzaki. But, Misa has taken a turn for the worse I am afraid." A turn for the worse? How? Bringing my thumb to my mouth I nip at the end of it. Watari's voice was rather shaky and laminated with the guilt that was building on his shoulders with each passing day. We have tortured confessions out of many suspects in the past. Every now and then slip ups do happen, and the longer one is kept under such conditions the more likely they are to occur. I had never guessed that Amane would have such a strong resolve. She was weak minded enough for Light to use and manipulate her, weak enough to show emotion when told of Kira's death. But strong enough to hold out for so long without uttering a single word that would condemn Light. Is this truly what love is capable of?