Chapter 46- Pity

She tried not to think much about the silence on the other end of the line. Lexa was probably just busy. She always was. 

It didn't make the array of one-sided texts seem any less upsetting though.

It was mainly just a bunch of 'heys' and 'hellos', other than the occasional 'are you busys' that she sent hoping for another date night. But it sure sucked. Not even that she didn't get a response, but that she didn't know what was up with Lexa. Whether she chose to shut her out or began overworking herself again. Clarke just couldn't help but worry about whether she did something wrong.

Which was dumb.

She didn't. She couldn't have. The last date went so well.

She shook her head from the thought. 

'Whatever.'

...

Maybe she would at least have the time to read this message.

It was an invitation. 

Raven had been planning for a big barbeque night for half a year now and finally decided on the idea a week ago. It started as a 'girls night' idea. Then it quickly turned into a party once Jasper and Monty overheard. So then it started as their friend group. But Jasper wanted to bring his girlfriend. And Bellamy insisted on bringing  Dr. Lincoln which he somehow got to know who-knows-how. Then Nilah totally dragged over Harper and Echo. At that point, Raven decided it was definitely no longer a just-the-friend-group kind of party and sent Anya an invitation as well. And she made sure to force Clarke to invite her 'girlfriend' as well.

And no, Lexa wasn't her girlfriend yet, so maybe it was a bit strange to ask, but hopefully, she'd show up if her sister came along.

Though the silence in her notifications sure wasn't reassuring.

...

...

...

"Still nothing?"Raven peered over Clarke's shoulder holding an ungodly amount of knives.

"No. And Rae, for the love of God, don't hold so many knives."

"I'm not making multiple trips, Clarke."

Sometimes she had no words for her friends. They were all so smart, yet so dumb. 

And despite being extremely tired after her workday, Clarke decided that she still trusted her half-awake brain more than Raven in the kitchen. "Oh. My. Go- Raven just handle the DJ set up please. I'll deal with the kitchen shit."

"But there's way more stuff to worry about here."

"And you're only making me worry more."

Raven rolled her eyes, dropping the knives on the counter and heading over the box of tangled wires. "You always make me do the boring tasks."

"They're all boring tasks."

"Yeah but you get to use the knives."

"I'm wiping them down with a towel. There is no doing anything with the knives."

She was met immediately with sad puppy eyes from across the room. "So you're not gonna make dinner?"

"Raven."

"Pleasee?"

"Raven, there's going to be so many people."

"Pleaasseeee??" The whining continued.

"For fucks sake. One thing. You get to choose one thing." She rolled her eyes at the girl. "And I am not manning the grill tomorrow."