Chapter 51- Her

A part of her just felt excited to hang out with Clarke again. A part of her was panicked. Because "I need to tell you something" could mean so many things.

She stared at the message once more.

Hey, can we hang out after work?
It doesn't have to be a date or anything. I kinda just want to talk.
Or really, I need to tell you something.

What did that mean?

...Could she be asking to be her girlfriend? 

A wave of warmth rushed from her core all the way to her cheeks as she blushed at the thought. Because, wow, that would be... perfect: bringing her along on work trips and seeking a few days extra to go have fun, having the excuse to see her whenever... and having her stay whenever, tea times, actually getting to know Madi, or getting to casually hold her hand or keep her hand on her thigh whenever... She couldn't help the smile crack on her lips.

'No. Get over yourself, Lexa.' she shook her head from the daydream.

It couldn't be that. There's no way it could be that. She was too- And Clarke probably- Besides, the tone didn't fit. There were too many periods. The sentences were too short. It was something bad. It had to be something bad.

Her chest grew heavy. Because, what did she mean? What did she do? Or what didn't she do?

...Was she trying to tell her she wanted to stop seeing her anymore?

Lexa's heart sank even more.

It wasn't true. She knew she was overreacting. Right?

...

Yeah, ofc

...

...

She watched locks of blonde being blown gently by the wind, patiently waiting outside the glass doors to the building while dark clouds gathered 'round. Admittedly, she felt a little guilty. Had she known Clarke was outside the whole time, she would have hurried up.

Lexa strode to the door, saying her goodbyes to the receptionist and giving a gentle nod to the doormen, who were most definitely surprised at her early leave. 

"Lexa! Hey." Ocean eyes smiled at her right as she left the doors.

'Okay, so maybe it wasn't bad news?'

"You know, the doors are open," Lexa smirked, nodding her head towards the building. She picked a stray strand of blonde hair blowing in front of a gorgeous face and tucked it behind Clarke's ear. "You didn't have to stay out in the wind."

The girl looked through the glass at the array of suits and blazers. "Yeah, somehow I don't think I fit in."

Lexa followed her gaze, eyes meeting with one of the doormen. She hadn't even thought, up until now, about how no one in her office knew of Clarke. 

She shook her head. If everything goes well, that'd have to change. ...Which would mean everyone would know about her girlfriend... Which would mean Clarke could come over whenever! ...Which would mean the press would probably know too.

Which... she didn't know if Clarke was okay with.

'Shit.' The last thing she would want was forcing eyes onto her- especially when the press could be so... stressful. She didn't need that.

'Maybe it was better to not think about that yet.'

"What. You think you need a suit to enter the building?" Lexa joked.