15. Our Fallen Hero

"Hey there trouble," Andy turned to smile at the teenager once all the hospital staff had gone inside and she had to stop herself from hugging the teenager.

"Hey Andy," Maddie waved over to the woman, who she was happy to see after not seeing anyone other than Maya for three weeks. "Can we go get that nasal test so I can hug everyone?" Maddie asked.

"Sure kiddo," Maya agreed and then turned towards her team, "I just need to take Maddie to get a nasal test and then we'll be heading to the station so does anyone want a lift?" Maya asked getting her teams attention.

"I'm just going to hang here a bit with my sister and the boys," Ben said. Maya nodded.

"I'll take a lift if you don't mind," Andy said.

"Sure. Anyone else?" Maya asked.

"No thanks, Captain." Jack and Dean said in chorus.

"Yeah. We're good too. Vic and I are going to visit my parent's house and drop them off groceries before our shift starts," Travis said.

"Alright. See you all in a bit." Maya said, "Don't be late for work." she pointed with a warning look to all of them.

"Zio!" Maddie yelled as she spotted Andrew over at the place where they were doing the nasal testing and she ran over to him.

"Maddie!" Andrew exclaimed. Maddie ran over to the man and then stopped herself from hugging him. "Damn kid I have missed you, it's so good to see you!"

"I have that effect on most people," Maddie sassily said while she shrugged her shoulders, "I have missed you so much as well!" she exclaimed as Maya caught up to them both.

"Hi Maya," Andrew acknowledged the older blonde. "What are you both doing here today anyway?" Andrew asked.

"Well we came for the clap out but we also thought it was a good idea for Maddie to get a nasal test so she can come into the station and be around everyone," Maya explained.

"Alright then, let's get that sorted for you," Andrew gestured for Maddie to sit down in the chair. Maddie briefly took her mask off as Andrew did her nasal test for her.

"I didn't know you were doing the nasal tests, Andrew. I thought that you would be inside the hospital," Maya said.

"I'm not, I just came out for fresh air but I'm making an exception for your kid since you know, your both family," Andrew grinned looking at the teenager. "Alright, I will rush the labs so you will hear back by the end of today." He told them as he did everything necessary and handed it off to another intern to take it to the lab.

"Thank you Zio," Maddie said gratefully. "Hey, you're wearing different coloured scrubs now!" she pointed out realizing they were now a navy blue colour instead of the pale blue he wore before.

"Yeah, I'm not a resident anymore," Andrew chuckled. Maddie looked at him dumbfounded, "Which I now realize that you have no idea what I am talking about," he added.

"Not really... but congratulations anyway, Zio!" Maddie grinned as she air high-fived with the Italian man who she thought of as family.

"Congratulations Andrew," Maya said with a smile, she felt it was good that he was on the right track again now.

"Thank you!" Andrew said. "So Maddie, how are things going with the girl that you are seeing? What's her name, Samantha?" he asked.

"Sarah," Maddie corrected. "And we're making it work, we speak  to each other like every single day when we are free," she said with a smile on her face the whole time, "How about you? Managed to find anyone during the pandemic," Maddie playfully wiggled her eyebrows causing Andrew to chuckle.