16. Tiger on the loose

Maya walked into the apartment after a run that morning to try and clear her head and shake off the mood that she was in, she found Maddie sat on the couch watching TV with a bar of candy in her hand.

"Are you planning to move off the couch at all today?" Maya raised her eyebrow in question, moving to walk over to the couch, "Seriously, come on Maddie, it isn't even 7 am yet," Maya exclaimed, taking the candy out of her daughter's hands.

"Hey, that was my breakfast!" Maddie pouted. Maya tutted as she walked into the kitchen and placed it down on the counter. Maddie felt that Maya was more irritable than usual.

"Breakfast is supposed to be something healthy, not a bar of candy," Maya said as she rolled her eyes and grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge.

"Geez, what is up your ass this morning?" Maddie asked leaning over the couch as she watched her mom storm around the kitchen in a mood. Maya shot her daughter a look. "I just mean you seem a lot more irritated than usual," Maddie muttered.

"Just go and get ready to go to the station," Maya declared. Maddie groaned and continued to sit on the couch, "What are you waiting for? Go!"

"Can I at least get to finish my candy bar first?" Maddie asked getting up from the couch and Maya shot her another look, "I only asked a question," Maddie muttered under her breath as she walked into her bedroom. It was evident that Maya was in a mood, but Maddie wasn't sure what the reason behind it was.

"I don't understand why I can't just stay at home? I mean seriously, I'm thirteen! I can take of myself you know," Maddie argued as she slammed the car door shut and followed her mother into the fire station.

"Oh yeah sure, if I leave you alone in the apartment then would just eat junk food all day so nice try but no," Maya answered trying to keep her temper in check, not being able to shake off the mood that she woke up today in.

"I-I wouldn't do that," Maddie pouted. "Come on, seriously why?" she asked.

"Because I said so," Maya said with a sigh.

"You know that's not an actual reason, right?" Maddie sassed. Maya gave her a look while they headed upstairs and went into the beanery, "Dean!" Maddie spotted the firefighter sat at the table eating a bowl of cereal and she walked over to him to fist bump him.

"Hey, shorty! Morning Captain," Dean said as she went back to eating his cereal.

"Morning Miller," Maya said as she poured herself a cup of coffee and walked out the beanery without saying anything else.

"Alright then... what's the matter with her then?" Dean raised his eyebrow in question. Maddie sighed and stuffed her hands in her pocket.

"Beats me, but she did take my candy this morning." Maddie pouted. Dean chuckled and stood up to place his bowl in the sink as he passes the teenager and ruffles her hair.

"You got to tell them the most important thing of all... That just because you are young and healthy doesn't mean you can't be an asymptomatic carrier." Ben said as he walked through with a trolley loaded with cleaning supplies.

"Yeah, we know. Thank you, Dad." Vic said walking back into the reception as she put a poster up on the door.

"Okay. See, that... That's not gonna become a thing." Ben insisted.

"Pops, it already has," Travis said as all Vic laughed and Ben looked at him with a smile on his face but they knew he was annoyed.

"You're standing too close to me, Hughes. That is one demerit for you." Dean said.