9. Hero

Maddie walked into the station after school, she was excited to see her sister after the two women arrived back from their Vacation late last night but Maddie stayed an extra night with Dean & Vic instead of getting up in the middle of the night  go home since Maya thought it was best and she didn't fancy dealing with a sleep-deprived moody teenager.

"Hey kid," Travis said, looking up from the desk.

"Hey," Maddie said as she leaned over the desk. "Have you seen my sister?" Maddie asked.

"Check her office," Travis suggested. Maddie nodded and walked into the office to not have any luck finding her sister there, "Oh, not in there? Maybe check upstairs in the beanery,"

"Okay. Thanks, Travis." Maddie said as she went upstairs, walking into the beanery where she spotted her sister pouring a mug off coffee like usual as she was stood talking to some old firefighters and amongst them was Pruitt, Dean and Andy.

"Maya!" Maddie exclaimed as she ran over to her sister, Maya turned around upon hearing her name and wrapped her arms around her sister tightly.

"Maddie! God I have missed you kiddo," Maya said as she pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"I missed you too. Did you bring me back a present?" Maddie asked cheekily.

"What, you mean even after the stunt that you pulled last week that had my team searching for you?" Maya asked as she smirked.

"Ah yeah about that," Maddie scratched the back of her neck and laughed nervously, "I kind of hoped that you wouldn't bring that up," she mumbled as she walked over to the table and sat down. "Hi guys, and people that I don't know." she said in an attempt to change the subject.

"Hey trouble," Andy said.

"I don't forget easily, but I suppose we can talk about it later at home," Maya chuckled. Maddie looked at her sister and nodded in agreement.

"Whose the old dudes?" Maddie looked at her sister in question.

"Maddie," Maya hissed.

"Who are you calling old, kid?" One of the men asked looking offended.

"Maddie, these are some of the firefighters that I worked with," Pruitt introduced the teenager to them, "Captain Lawrence, Charlie Irwin and Snuffy Souza,"

"Oh hi, sorry, it's nice to meet you all, I'm Maddie." Maddie said politely.

The klaxon sounded alerting them there was people trapped in a storage locker.

"Stay here Maddie. Miller, keep an eye on her for me?" Maya asked and Dean nodded in agreement.

"I'm thirteen, I don't need a babysitter." Maddie said with a groan.

"Do I need to remind you off the other day?" Maya raised her eyebrow, "No time to discuss this. If I'm not back later, I'll get Carina to pick you up. Be good kiddo," Maya said before running out of the beanery with the rest of the firefighters not leaving Maddie with much choice but to agree.

"How many pictures of Pru did you take?" Maddie snickered. Dean, Maddie and the old firefighters sat around the table as Dean showed off the numerous amount of pictures he had taken of his daughter. Maddie had seen majority of these already since he spent the week with them and Dean loved to take photos of his kid.

"I love taking photos of my kid. Don't judge me," Dean laughed and then scrolled across to show them a picture of baby Pru in sunglasses. "You see this one, Cap? This is her in sunglasses." He said with a wide grin on his face, the proud father he was.