𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 6.

There were bodies laying around and blood was everywhere. Definitely not the first time something went down in here.

Joel grabbed Makayla's arm pulling her down behind a cabinet. In front of them was about 5 soldiers now.

"We can take them down quietly." Makayla whispered looking at Joel as she noticed their faces were incredibly close. She pulled back a little to not making this situation weird. He scanned the area and nodded, agreeing.

They split up and sneakily started moving, taking them down one by one without making any sound.

Makayla looked at Joel as he choked to death the last guy.

"Down here." She called out and jumped. It was a staircase with lower stairway missing. It was quite a fall but she managed to land just fine. Joel followed her and they slowly continued to move.

There was too many of them.

They heard them all around.

Makayla took out her gun,loading it but Joel shook his head and pointed to an exit. It wasn't far and if they're lucky enough they can get through without them noticing. They stayed on the ground and went for it.

It worked. They got to the street and decided to take a run for it. They sprinted across the street down into some underground subway.

"They're going into the subway! Stop them!" The truck pulled up in front of the entrance and Joel and Makayla started running even faster.

"Motherfuckers!" She cursed to herself, following Joel. They got into a hallway full of spores so Joel automatically put on a mask. They got where the trains were and once again Joel pulled Makayla behind another cabinet. The soldiers were already there.

"Search the area, find them and let's get the hell out of here before clickers show up." One of the soldiers declared.

"There's six of them." Makayla whispered and frowned when she saw Joel looking at her.

"How the hell are you breathin' in this stuff?" He asked, completely dumbfounded.

"I wasn't lying to you." Makayla spoke with a serious tone in her voice before Joel slowly looked away and started leading the way.

"Let the clickers have them. We're outta here." One of the soldiers called out and they all started to leave. When the coast was clear they stood up to keep going.

They were walking by the trails, making their way through the inside of the non functioning trains.

They saw a pair of stairs at the end. That was their way out.

Just as they could finally take a breath of the fresh outside air Joel took his mask off and sat down on the nearest rock, coughing a little.

"Hey, look- about Tess-" Makayla started but Joel quickly cut her off.

"Here's how things gon' play out. You don't bring up Tess. Ever. Matter of fact we can just keep our histories to ourselves. Secondly, don't tell anybody about your...condition. And lastly, you do, what I say, when I say it. We clear?!" Joel asked gaining a grin full of disbelief from Makayla. It seemed ridiculous to her, "Yes."

"Repeat it

"Repeat it." His voice was deep and demanding.

Makayla shifted in her place, sighing, "What you say goes."

Joel looked away grumpily, "Good."

He stood up, looking in front of them, "Now there's a town, few miles north of here, there's a fella there who owes me some favors. Good chance he could get us a car." He sighed.

"Let's get a move on." He turned to look at Makayla and she followed him in silence.

They continued to walk in silence, none of them really having the energy or need to say anything until they got to a bridge.

...
Lincoln

"It'll be faster if we go through here." He jumped over the railing, landing on the grass in the woods. Makayla jumped right after him, calming down a little as she appeared to be in this green paradise. Nature was beautiful, almost magical.

As they walked through they could hear the birds singing

As they walked through they could hear the birds singing. The wind was blowing gently and sun was slowly going down, making them forget about this fucked up world.

"Why don't you just continue to live your life and let me go alone?" Makayla's voice broke the silence.

"Trust me I wish there was some other option." Joel muttered, ending the conversation. Although she actually wanted to get along with him Joel was a guy hard to impress.

After a few minutes they got to a fence.

"Well shit." Joel cursed as he couldn't get the entrance open. It was overgrown with grass.

"What about that?" There was a ladder laying on the ground right next to an abandoned buidling near the fence. Makayla pointed it out and Joel looked at her before walking up to it and picking it up. Even through his shirt she could notice his muscles flexing. He placed it against the building and they both climbed it.

"That you Bill?" Joel mumbled to himself looking at a smoke coming from a building in the distance.

"Where do you usually meet him?"

"Huh? Different places." Joel shrugged before they both jumped down. Now they were officially in the town.

"You've never been here have you?" Makayla nagged.

"I know this is where he lives but, no I've never been here personally."

"And that smoke...you think that's him?"

"Sure as hell better be."