𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 13.

There was a checkpoint right in front of them.

Joel stood up and those guys noticed them. There was only about 4 of them so Joel and Makayla easily took them out with rifles.

"Well that was easy." Makayla said as they got through the checkpoint, closer to the building of those hunters.

"What about taking a break?" She looked at Joel.

"I kinda need to get myself checked and it's already getting pretty late."  She pointed to the deep cut on her cheek and Joel nodded, "Let's take it through that shop." He nodded towards the shop that possibly led to the building.

They walked inside and the first thing that caught Makayla's attention were clothes, "Oh yeah we're taking these."

She grabbed a handful of them.

"How are we even gonna carry those?" Joel wasn't impressed.

"Leave that to me." She started walking forward with those clothes in her grasp. She got so many she couldn't even see properly where she was going making Joel sigh as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Well move it!" Makayla shouted.

"You're going the wrong way." Joel walked around her and went for the exit.

"Oh yeah." Makayla mumbled, following him.

They finally got inside,looking around. All the lamps were on and it looked pretty cozy.

"Let's hope there's not more of them." Joel muttered putting his backpack down.

Makayla immediately ran to the bathroom, "I think we might be able to finfuckingally take a shower."

Joel looked up at her standing in the doorframe. "Alright you go first, be quick."

"I'll try." She shut the door and soon he could hear the water running.

He went through the clothes she brought with her, picking up the male ones. At least he could finally take those dirty clothes covered in blood off.

After a while the door opened as she stepped out, already with her clothes changed and wet hair, "The water's pretty cold but better then nothing." She mumbled walked past Joel as he switched with her and went to take a shower.

She ruffled her wet hair walking to the middle of the room when she saw Joel's watch resting on a small cabinet. She grabbed them, examining them. She then looked down seeing some of the clothes missing which meant he had to take them.

A few moments later Joel stepped out, already in different clothes as he walked where she was standing.

She was too focused looking at him that she didn't even notice she was still holding his watch.

He looked at her with a bit of a questioning face, making her snap back into reality, "S-sorry I just- noticed they're broken." She lied. She noticed they were broken the day Marlene introduced them.

"They've been broken for some time." He mumbled lazily as she put them back down.

She then kneeled down, going through the clothes she brought with her when she started throwing away the shirts with short sleeves.

Joel frowned,confused, "What are you doing?"

"Can't wear them." She mumbled and that's when he realized. The bites.

"Yeah um, I'm sorry about the second one-" He began, his eyes focusing oj the second bite mark but Makayla quickly cut him off, " It's fine. Don't make a big deal out of it." She smirked and his eyes narrowed. Definitely the only person who could say something like that after getting bit.

She then took out an aid kit from her backpack and sat up on top of a wooden counter.

The Fireflies taught her everything she knew when it came to medical care.

She tried finding the cut on her face by touching her skin and hissed when she accidentally touched it. It was quite a deep cut. She definitely had to sew it up otherwise it would keep opening.

She grabbed a piece of cloth and poured betadine on it to clean the wound first before she grabbed a needle and thread once again finding the area with her fingers so she'd sew it right.

"Fuck." She cursed quietly as it stung not realizing Joel was watching her the whole time. He walked closer, looking at what she was doing.

"Gimme that." He suddenly spoke, grabbing the piece of cloth from her as he stepped dangerously close to her.

" He suddenly spoke, grabbing the piece of cloth from her as he stepped dangerously close to her

Her legs parted to let him get closer and he noticed with a quick glance. He stepped between her legs before grabbing her chin to press the cloth against the wound.

He was pressing it gently making sure it wouldn't hurt.

Makayla could feel her heartbeat quicken. He smelled good. Like a fresh shower with a manly scent, driving her insane. From the moment she first saw him she found him attractive but her hormones were really acting up in this second.

Joel remained neutral. A bit stiff even. Makayla was a beautiful girl. Making it hard not to get lost in his thoughts for a second.

Both of them could feel the uncomfortable tension in the air.