𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 54.

"I thought you changed your mind."
He asked her standing up and Makayla raised an eyebrow when she noticed he had a full backpack with him.

"What's that about?"

"Didn't think I'd let you go by yourself did you?"

Makayla sighed, "Jesse,"

"I mean it." Jesse demanded and Makayla looked at Dina to see her reaction, she seemed to be on his side.

"Alright...so how do we do this?" Makayla glanced at Jesse.

"It's not too hard, we just gotta get through the men guarding near the pub next to the stables. They all take their jobs seriously, walking around like hungry dogs."

"You wanna go through the stables? But they're locked."

"We need horses. On feet we'll be too slow. They'd have a chance to find us."  He reasoned and Makayla knew he was right, "How are we gonna get inside?"

"We gotta get the keys... you know Tina?"

Makayka rolled her eyes, "Yeah."

"She's the one who has them. If we sneaked into her house and found them it'd be an easy slip."

Makayla looked at Jesse, "I don't think sneaking in is necessary. I have a better idea."

...

"Think it's gonna work?" Jesse whispered, they were right by the side of Tina's small house and Makayla nodded before questioning him too,

"You sure about tagging along? Dina's going to need you, I can do this by myself."

Jesse shook his head, "You mean a lot to her. I'm sure." He declared and Makayla slowly nodded,

"Stay here."

She commanded and stood up, looking around before walking over to Tina's doorstep.

She knocked.

And then she knocked harder.

The door screeched open revealing a confused Tina in her pajamas, "What are yo-"

Makayla sneaked inside walking into the kitchen that was right by the door.

"Makayla..what happened?" She was suspicious.

"Close the door." Makayla said and Tina did just that before coming closer to her.

"Is there a reason to why ur barging into my house at almost 3AM?" Tina looked at the clock.

"Actually yes. Listen, I know you and I aren't exactly on good terms. Don't try to deny it. You want Joel, you're mad, cause I'm in your way so I guess you want me out of the picture am I right?" Makayla leaned against the kitchen table and Tina remained quiet. She seemed confused but at the same time she didn't deny Makayla's words.

"Where are you going with this?"

"I want you to get me out of town and not tell anybody about it."

Makayla was direct and Tina just glared at her, "Joel doesn't deserve someone like you. You're too young, too rebellious and immature."

Those words hurt.

The young girl snorted with a stone cold face, looking directly into the eyes of the older woman, "Then do something about it."

Tina was fixedly returning her gaze before she walked over to a near drawer and took out a piece of packaged paper before placing it on the table behind Makayla.

Makayla turned around, watching Tina unwrap it and spread it.

It was a map.

"I feel like you're going to need this." She said and Makayla looked at her and Tina spoke again, "Right now we're here. This is Jackson. You have all the near cities shown here."

Makayla's brown eyes scanned the map curiously.

Tina then folded the map and handed it to Makayala who hid it in her pocket

"So you're in?" Makayla asked and when Tina walked away again and then came back with the keys the answer was clear.

"I'll take care of the guards. Make sure to leave the keys outside the stables hidden. I'll pick them up later." Tina stated and Makayla nodded before she left her house.

"The keys?" Jesse asked when he saw her approaching and Makayla just showed them to him. He nodded and they moved to the stables, making sure not to be seen.

They were hiding behind two barrels when they noticed Tina approach the men on the patrol, intentionally starting a conversation.

"C'mon." Jesse said and while crouching they moved closer, Makayla's eye caught Tina's while they unlocked the large and heavy wooden door and slipped inside.

"Be quick but quiet." Jesse commanded.

"Roger." Makayla unlocked the exit door and jumped up on Shimmer before they made their way out.

...
8 hours later

"We should be in Detroit in about a week

"We should be in Detroit in about a week. Show me the map." Jesse said and Makayla handed it to him before she got off her horse. They found a small wrecked village with only one house at least barely standing. It was enough to lay low for a few hours.

Without a word Makayla walked over to a dirty armchair, sitting down and hiding her face in her palms.

"You alright?" Jesse said giving her the map back.

"I feel like he's already looking for me." She looked up at him.

"Knowing Joel, he probably is."

He stayed silent, leaning against a rusty cabinet before speaking up again, his voice a bit unsure, "How did you two even meet?"

Makayla sighed with a small smile before her face became serious again, "He was supposed to deliver me to this-  group."

"Supposed to?" Jesse grimaced.

"Yeah. But we came to Jackson instead." She said, leaving out the details of what really happened.

"I can only imagine why you changed your mind." He teased making Makayla roll her eyes at him.

"How did you take the pregnancy?" Curiousity spoke from her.

"It was a suprise but- I'm pretty excited now." He was looking at the ground while saying it and their gaze met when they both heard a mild rumble coming from upstairs.