𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 9.

They were finally in the open. It looked like a parking lot with a fence all around it.

"Infected." Makayla was the first to hear them as Joel and Bill became alerted.

"Oh shit. Lock and load." Bill said and all three of them took out a gun.

"There's a bunch of 'em." Joel notified, they were further away from them.

They started firing at them, taking them down as one of them managed to get past them around a car and jump at Bill. Makayla shot his head off and the blood splashed across Bill's face. "You're fucking welcome." She said and looked around. All clear.

Bill stood up all shaken up. "Thanks." His response was bitter but at least it filled Makayla with satisfaction.

"Up here." He motioned with his hand. There was an underground wooden door that led to a basement. The safe house he was talking about.

Joel opened the door and all three of them jumped inside.

"You don't touch anything." He pointed at Makayla. She frowned and saw a pile of books on a shelf next to her, ready to knock it all off.

"Uh-uh." Joel grabbed her hand and she broke free from his grasp almost immediately.

"Fuck you both." Makayla rolled her eyes and went to sit down on an arm chair near the shelf.

Bill turned the light on, they were dim but better than nothing.

Joel walked over to him.

"This goes on record as the worst fucking job you've ever taken. How the hell is Tess okay with this suicide mission?"

"It was actually her idea." Joel replied.

"Really? Then I guess she's not as smart as I thought she was.. well..fuck her." Bill placed a rifle on a table.

"Seriously you gotta take the girl back where you found her."

"I can't just take her back." Joel answered with a bit of rasp in his voice as he leaned against the low table.

"Then send her back and let her find her own way." He was talking while Joel was mainly hypnotizing the floor knowing Bill was right but he was also so over his bullshit.

"Hey! I hope you're not touching anything!" He screamed at Makayla who was just peacefully sitting on the arm chair with her eyes closed, "I'll kill you in your damn sleep

"Hey! I hope you're not touching anything!" He screamed at Makayla who was just peacefully sitting on the arm chair with her eyes closed, "I'll kill you in your damn sleep." She muttered and opened her eyes, seeing both Joel and Bill looking at her.

"Yeah that's why I'll be sleeping in a different room. Locked." His eyes widened as he spoke making Makayla roll her eyes.

"Bill. Can we just get on with it?" Joel was slowly loosing his patience and Bill threw the rifle at him, "Let's get on with it." He imitated Joel's low voice and they both started walking away and up the stairs. Makayla unwillingly followed them.

"I repeat, don't you dare take anything!" Bill pointed at her with his finger before turning to Joel, "Joel you are keeping an eye on her right?!"

"Like a hawk." Joel rasped with an annoyed tone in his voice before they continued walking,

...

"Your room. My room." Bill made it pretty clear he wanted to be separated from them. The rooms were across each other.

Bill didn't even bother to look at them as he shut the door behind him. Makayla snorted when she heard him lock the door.

With an annoyed grunt Joel entered the room.

There were two mattresses and they were pretty clean which was surprising.

One was on one side of the room and one on the other. They automatically walked to their own one, placing their backpacks down. Joel without saying anything laid down and got ready for sleep, Makayla on the other hand just sat down and looked around herself.

"Are you not tired?"

She flinched hearing Joel's voice since she wasn't expecting him to speak up.

"No not really." She laid down too, hypnotizing the ceiling with a heavy sigh.

"Tess told me you've been takin' care of yourself since you were thirteen-" He started, a bit hesitant about his question but Makayla was glad he was atleast talking to her.

"Didn't you say it'd be better if we keep our histories to ourselves?" She grinned looking at him making him roll his eyes. He frowned and stayed quiet.

"I only had my mother and my father. My father was abusive. Beating both me and my mom. When I was thirteen he killed my mom right in front of my eyes and I shot him in his back. From there I lived alone until Marlene found me when I was seventeen." Makayla revealed. Talking about it was hard but it felt good to tell someone.

She peeked to look at Joel. He was frowning, his forehead creased, eyes narrowed and eyebrows furrowed. He released a heavy sigh. She didn't understand his reaction, not knowing what was going on in his mind.

Joel's first thought was Sarah. He couldn't imagine ever hitting her. And the fact that Makayla was alone from the age of thirteen, which was around Sarah's age when she died. It made him angry.

"That's- tough. I'm sorry 'bout that." His voice was as always deep and distant. He tried not to be too open and she understood. This was just a job and a complete waste of time for him.

"Meh it's been a long time ago." But 5 years felt as if it just happened yesterday. Joel wasn't saying anything anymore so she turned to the other side, becoming tired by now.

...

"Wake the fuck up." Bill clapped his hands, waking them up.

"Ugh." Makayla groaned, opening her eyes. She thought Bill was just a nightmare but apparently not.

Joel rubbed his face with his palm before standing up, "C'mon let's go." He commanded her, grabbing his backpack as he left the room.

Makayla did the same just a bit slower since all she wanted to do was to keep on sleeping.

But now the main goal was to go and find a car.