𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 55.

Jesse pressed a finger to his lips, signalizing Makayla to stay quiet.

Makayla slowly stood up, pulling her gun out as she tightened her grip on it and then she slowly walked towards the stairs. Jesse was behind her, watching her back.

She stepped on the first step, looking up, trying to hear any sound but it was quiet.

She looked back at Jesse before she continued walking up the stairs.

Until one of the steps squeaked under her foot.

She gasped, looking up when a runner ran up on her.

But adrenaline kicked in and she didn't even realize how she raised her gun and put two bullets into it's head.

It's rotten and crippled body fell to her feet.

"You okay?" Jesse asked, grabbing her shoulder and Makayla firmly nodded a few times before she stepped over the body to take a look upstairs.

There was just a one room and one bathroom. Both rooms quite destroyed but it wasn't surprising.

"We should get some sleep before we continue." Jesse suggested and Makayla agreed, he was right.

...

5 hours have passed and she still wasn't able to close an eye.

Thoughts were interrupting her peace.

Thoughts about David, about the scared and abused women and girls that were fighting for their lives right now.

And about Joel...

It was completely clouding up her mind.

"You didn't even move." Jesse declared walking down the stairs. It's true. She was still sitting in that damn armchair as if she was glued to it.

"Can we get going?" She looked at him. Her eyes didn't seem tired. Instead, they looked focused.

"Sure."

"Thanks." She said and his eyebrows furrowed a little. He wasn't sure why exactly she was thanking him. But he was slowly starting to realize this whole venture was more than very serious and personal to her.

...
4 days later

"Hang on. I'll pull you up."

Jesse said and walked to the edge of the bus before offering Makayla a hand and pulling her up.

"Thanks." She sighed, dusting off her jacket. 

They finally got to a quarter of cities. Which had it's negative and positive side,

Negative, cities were more crowded. Which meant more infected and more survivors.

Positive, they were getting closer to Detroit. Which meant getting closer to David and his group.

"You see that building over there?" Makayla pointed to a small building right behind a bridge.

"Yeah. It's small. We could clear it out and stay for the night." Jesse agreed.

They've been continuing this journey without horses after a horde of infected attacked them in the woods and there was no other way but to leave them behind when they had to sneak through a small crack of a snowy old building to escape.

Now before they could get into the building to get some rest they had to get through something much bigger.

"The place's gonna be full of those fuckers." Makayla took out her gun as Jesse did the same, "Seems like there's no other option." The way around was blocked by a bunch of cars and fallen trees.

They stood in front of a tall building, sizing it up. Trying to guess how much ammo they'd loose.

"I'm pretty sure that's a courthouse. C'mon." She commanded and they moved, getting closer.

"The door's locked." Jesse said and Makayla rolled her eyes, "Yeah well obviously." She looked around when she saw a ladder, leading into a window.

"Jesse. Give me a boost."

Jesse did as she said and Makayla grabbed onto the ladder, pulling it down so they could climb it.

She went first and when she got to the window she looked down at Jesse, signalizing him to stay quiet.

She jumped through, landing on a fallen wardrobe before her legs finally made contact with the ground.

Jesse followed her as they made their way through the hallway.

A faint screeching could be heard somewhere in front of them.

They were moving slow and sharp when a same screeching sound sounded behind them.

"Stalkers." Makayla breathed out and continued moving forward when he ran right across her way, close to the ground and she jumped back, gripping her gun tighter.

It ran right into a room with an open door

She could only hope it would be trapped there when she followed it inside.

Jesse guarded the door, in case another stalker shows up and Makayla carefully scanned the room.

Pointing with her flashlight all around when she could suddenly hear the sounds it was making.

It was hiding right behind the desk.

She kicked into the chair, closest to her to startle it and it worked.

The stalker ran out, right at her when Makayla shot him dead.

She could hear another gunshot. Jesse.

She walked back outside, seeing Jesse stand there with another stalker at his feet.

"More of them coming." Makayla alerted when the screeching only doubled.

They pressed their backs against each other and shot all the stalkers coming at them.

Now they were surrounded by a good number of dead infected.

"I already hate this place." Jesse sighed, wiping sweat off of his forehead.

" Jesse sighed, wiping sweat off of his forehead

"We just gotta make our way through."

Makayla moved without another word.

Jesse only followed her, as usually not protesting.

At first he'd just laugh at how similiar to Joel she was at times. Always so goddamn bossy and intimidating. But with that he also realized how big her obssesion with getting revenge on David is. And that it only grows by each day.