𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 43.

Makayla's eyes slowly opened. She felt dizzy and tired but she was brought back to reality as soon as she realized she was in the backseat of a moving car.

She sat up seeing Joel driving and when she looked down she frowned at the sight of hospital clothes.

"Joel?" She asked and Joel's head immediately snapped back to look at her. He was so lost in his thoughts he didn't even notice her weak up.

And then he looked back at the road.

"What happened?" She asked and it took him a few moments to respond,

"We found the Fireflies. Turns out there's more poeple like you. Ain't done a damn bit of good neither." He murmured and Makayla just frowned to herself.

She was taken back for a few seconds before she sighed, laying back down and closing her eyes. She did not feel like talking and it seemed like Joel felt the same.

"I'm sorry." Was all he said before they both stayed quiet for the rest of the ride.

" Was all he said before they both stayed quiet for the rest of the ride

...

"Goddammit." Joel cursed when the car started to rattle.

Makayla sat up to check what's wrong but Joel had to stop the car.

He got out and walked to the front before checking it and meanwhile Makayla got out too, walking over to him.

"Joel..you got my backpack?" She asked quietly, making Joel look up, "Yeah-"

He said and walked to the front seat before taking out her backpack and handing it to her as he got back to trying to get the car started.

Without a word Makayla took off her hospital shirt and threw it on the ground, catching Joel's eye.

She was completely naked and she seemed not to really care that he could see her. He's seen it all anyway but her perfect and delicate body was covered in some new bruises after their way to the Fireflies.

She took out some clean clothes from her backpack and started putting them on before she went to sit in the frontseat behind the wheel to wait for Joel.

She lift up her sleeve to look at her two bite marks.

All that and for nothing.

Her cold fingers caressed the corrupted skin.

She always thought saving the world was in her hands. That her sacrifice would be worth it.

But she was wrong.

"Well looks like we're walkin'." ,

"You alright?"

Joel's voice interrupted her thoughts.

He crouched down in front of her, looking up into her eyes as he grabbed her scarred arm.

And although she felt like she lost her fight, she wanted to throw herself into his arms and cry but at the same time she just didn't have the energy for it.

"Let's just go." She gave him a half smile and they both stood up.

Joel was leading the way through the forest and Makayla was right behind him.

"Should be a straight shot through here." He notified and they kept on walking up the hill.

And once they were at the top, they could see Jacksonville in all it's glory.

"C'mon this way." Joel said and jumped on a crag that would eventually lead straight down to the village.

"I got you, jump."  He said and Makayla jumped up as he caught her wrist and pulled her up.

"Alright c'mon." He said and started walking again but Makayla stayed still.

"Wait." She said, making Joel turn around to look at her and walk back.

He had a confused expression on his face.

"Back in Boston- back when I was bitten. I wasn't alone. I never told you I had a little brother. He was there. He got bit too. We didn't know what to do so we decided to wait it out. I'm still waiting for my turn-"

"Makayla-"

"His name was Ethan and he was the first to die. And then it was Tess. And then Sam."

"None of that is on you." Joel's voice was hard and firm.

"No Joel you don't understand-"

"I struggled for a long time with survivin'. And you-. No matter what, you keep findin' somethin' to fight for. Now I know that's not what you wanna hear right now but-"

"Swear to me," She pressed her palms to his hard chest and continued, "That everything you said about the Fireflies is true."

Joel inhaled sharply and looked her straight in the eye, "I swear."

Makayla's gaze softened and her palms slid down his chest before ending up at her sides again, "Okay." She whispered with a nod and continued to walk.

...

"Open the gates!" They heard Tommy shout from the other side.

And as soon as the gates opened he walked out with a warm smile on his face, "Good to see you again."  He pulled Joel into hug, tapping his shoulder.

"You too. Where's Maria?" Joel asked, his voice low as always.

"Right here." Maria declared, coming to stand next to Tommy and then she smiled at Makayla.

"Makayla," Tommy greeted her.

"Hey." She said naturally, taking a step towards the three of them.

"Tommy-  I gotta talk to you."  Joel spoke and Tommy looked at him with a serious expression on his face before he looked at Maria and she looked straight at Makayla,

"C'mon Makayla. We'll wait for them inside."