Chapter 85 - The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

Isaac P.O.V.

We still await the arrival of Carmilla, but I knew it wouldn't be too much longer. To find out for sure how much longer we would have to wait, I sent a couple of night creatures with Flyseyes out as a form of scout to see how much longer they would be. I grow impatient waiting for my revenge on Carmilla, so my attitude was sharp with everyone. I had even begun to separate myself from Dracula because I didn't want to snap at him for no reason.

"You hide yourself away from me, Isaac," I heard my master's voice speaking quietly. "Why do you do this?"

"I must admit the waiting is upsetting me," I admitted truthfully. "We have already been here nearly two weeks, and, even though Y/N has planned for this, I find myself agitated. Awaiting that viper's arrival has me itching to move."

"I understand, my friend," my master chuckled beside me. "I, too, want this woman to hurry herself along so I can go home. Lisa has decided we should attempt to have another child, and I find myself unable, or, more to the point, unwilling to deny her."

It was then that I began to think of what I would like to do with my life after this, and found I had nothing. I had been in the business of revenge for so long, allowed it to occupy every corner of my life, that I'd never even thought of what it would be like to have a family of my own. Even the word 'family' seemed so unattainable, so foreign. The first time I'd felt as if I'd had one was when my master found us, me and Hector. Master being the father of us boys, giving us a home, food, bed, warmth and comfort. Still, even I had to admit that our group was less family and more indentured workers, toiling day and night to fuel a war against humanity for the wrongs we'd all suffered at their hands.

"Isaac," my master's voice shook me from my thoughts. "Perhaps you should consider starting a family of your own. I've seen how some of the women of this town look at you, and I'm certain they'd happily become your wife should you ask."

"Looking at me?" I asked bemused. "Surely your eyesight has failed you, ma-my friend."

"Really?" he asked, his voice laced with amusement. He nudged my shoulder and pointed toward a group of women. When I looked over at them, they were, indeed, looking at me and smiling. One that had caught my attention was a woman no more than twenty, her hair the color of rich red earth and eyes of sun-kissed amber. A light blush rode high on her cheeks, creamy olive colored skin presenting the pink rose petals of her blush. When she noticed that I was looking back at her, heavy lids under arched brows lowered becomingly, long lashes caressed her skin and rested just above the blush. Her friends stood next to her, nudging her gently and giggling behind their hands. The more they spoke the deeper her blush became until an older woman called the girls to work. The one I'd been looking at quickly opened her eyes, startled out of her thoughts. She glanced at me quickly and offered a small smile before running off toward the woman who'd called.

"Perhaps you are right, my friend," I admitted, a small amount of heat raising up to my face.

"My eyesight isn't so bad. Wouldn't you agree?" I chuckled at his words before moving on to my own work. His eyesight is just fine. It is mine own that has been blind.

Lisa P.O.V.

The restlessness of our group for the oncoming battle was becoming a tightened fist around our throats. The longer we waited, the more we wanted to hurry things along. I continued to help the women of Braila make communal meals, everyone gathering in the large room every night to enjoy each other's company and the promise of a hot meal. Trevor and Adrian busied themselves by hunting and fishing for everyone, Sypha to the task of mixing teas and spices for the meals and Y/N and I cooking meals with the women. Each of us had our own jobs to do while we awaited Carmilla's arrival, and each of us were balancing our resolve on the edge of a knife.