Chapter 4: Morning Coffee

"Nick, get up!"

"Hm?"

"Get up well, you were supposed to take me to the train!"

"My alarm hasn't sounded yet, I'll get up quietly" replied Nick turning over to the other side of the bed. Judy sighed heavily but didn't want to press her partner any further.

It was already 4 a.m. on Judy's alarm. , there was only 2 hours left until Judy's train departure. Rabbit got out of bed and put her furry slippers and dressing gown on her body, then she went to the kitchen as quietly as she could so as not to disturb Nick, who as usual decided to sleep a little longer than he should. He set his alarm for 5.00 a.m., which was perfect, just to have time to drink his morning espresso. For the reason that it was the end of December, it was still dark outside and in the flat. Judy turned on the light in the kitchen and put water in the kettle to boil for the coffee. She didn't want to eat yet, she was so excited about going home to rest. She hadn't seen her family in person since October, they had a lot of work with Nick in the capital and she only talked to them on Skype in the evenings or at night. Then Nick had to sit in the room so Judy's family wouldn't notice Nick was with a girl. They wouldn't understand it...yet. The fox didn't hide his displeasure then, but he cared too much about Judy to argue. Rabbit promised for the fox that he would talk to them about it soon, that was enough for Nick, for now. While the water boiled, Judy gazed out the window at the Zootopia skyline. It looked so beautiful, especially during sunrise or sunset. The tops of the skyscrapers disappeared somewhere in the clouds, just gone. The glass structures of the skyscrapers reflected the blood-red sun so beautifully that Judy found herself staring at the image more than once.

"'Too bad Nick can't see it,' thought Judy. The fox never saw it, maybe because he didn't pay attention and always got up too late to see the phenomenon. A moment later the water boiled and Judy made herself a cup of coffee. During this time she browsed through the Facebook posts scrolling one by one through all sorts of videos, memes, advertisements, etc. There was nothing special about it, but she had nothing to do when she was alone. She could kill time with this, or at least speed it up, she felt joy and stress at the same time, before meeting her family. She hadn't seen them for a long time and she really wanted to see them. On the other hand she was sad that Nick couldn't go with her, Judy's family wasn't ready to find out about him and Judy being in a relationship just yet.

"I'll talk to my parents about it...we need to do this" Judy decided while proudly thinking in her head. Finally, she decided to eat something. She was a little hungry and she didn't want to come off as uncultured. When she opened the fridge, she chose her favourite dish, when she didn't have time for something else, "Carrots in a hurry", (It was something like kabanos, they were carrots ready to eat right away). Time slowly passed as Judy slowly ate her meagre breakfast as the clock showed 4.30 a.m.

"Mother, I have to speed up or I won't make it yet" thought Judy as she saw the time on her phone. She put the smartphone down on the table, put the cup in the dishwasher and then headed to the bathroom to take a bath. She had to look like something, after all. Bathing in warm water with foam was something that always gave Judy relaxation and peace. She would often lock herself away for so long (forgetting how long she had been sitting there) that sometimes Nick would knock on the door and ask if she was okay. It was such a nice feeling when Lis would ask with concern in his voice: "Karotka, are you okay?". She appreciated her Fox and it made her feel even better that they would be separated.

While Judy was taking a relaxing bath, Fox's alarm clock started beeping and that meant Nick had to get up interrupting his sleep.

It was 5.00 a.m. He still felt sleepless, maybe because he had dreamt about Judy and the fact that they would be separated. He hadn't slept well, but he didn't want to show it for the rabbit. He put on his slippers and dressing gown and straightened up. He made his way to the kitchen, and as he did every day, he fired up the water to brew for coffee, as did Judy. He sat down comfortably in a chair, then closed his eyes trying to relax a little more and put some thoughts in his head. He had to come to terms with the fact that he would most likely be alone for the next few days. He didn't want to show his sadness on his face, but pretending to be in a good mood was not something the fox was good at.

"Good morning " a female voice came from the hallway leading to the kitchen. It was Judy, she was already ready to go, dressed in a grey shirt with jeans trousers.

"Hi carrot, I hope you slept better than I did" replied Nick opening his eyes.

"I slept very well, thank you. I can't wait to see my family" replied Judy excitedly. There was a big smile on her face. Nick felt an ache in his heart when he saw it, he smiled slightly for a moment and then his laughter died down. He brewed himself a coffee and returned to his seat. They didn't speak to each other until Judy noticed that Nick was depressed. He stared at his coffee cup sipping it for a few minutes.

"It's only been a few days Nick," Judy said seeing a thoughtful Nick.

"You can really tell that I'm not in the best of moods ?" asked Nick to which Judy responded with a laugh.

"Let's just say I know you too well " replied Judy.

"I know it's only been a few days. But still, when I'm alone here it won't be as much fun" replied Nick.

"Aren't you going to your family?"

"I'd like to, but see. We spent so much time working on getting this flat rented. Do you remember what happened the first time you stayed the night with me?" asked Nick, to which Judy nodded with a motion of her head. It was mid-September, it was raining heavily and the tram that Judy used to get to her house had broken down and she would have had to wait for an hour in the cold and rain if it hadn't been for Nick offering to let her stay the night. It was a great night for Judy, she immediately felt that the fox was her type, but at the time it was hard to talk about it. After that lovely night for both of them a nasty surprise awaited, and mainly for Judy, someone had crept into her flat and trashed it. Unfortunately the cost had to be borne by Judy, she only said this for Nick once they were together and decided to move in together. This taught a good lesson to both of them about looking after one's material welfare.

"Yeah, I remember. Listen, I promise I'll call you every day...nooo, or every 1st day, I'll make sure you don't get lonely ok?" asked Judy sending a warm smile towards the fox sitting down on his lap. His mood immediately improved which was visible to the naked eye. This rabbit knew how to improve the mood for him.

"Good carrot you are at that hehe, I felt better immediately" replied Nick as Judy kissed him on the lips.

"I know fox hahaha, now finish your coffee and get dressed, we have to get to the station in time" laughed Judy stroking the fox's cheek.