Chapter 64: Longing

Chapter 64: Longing

Judy and Nick were finally able to get back together, back home. Doe only now realised how much she had missed their flat and, above all, the presence of the fox she loved so much. At last they could be in their flat without feeling stressed or worrying that something bad might happen. It was over, at last. The first thing Judy did was, of course, to go to the bathroom where she started pouring hot water into the bath to have her bath, while at the same time Nick poured water into the kettle and prepared cups of tea for himself and the doe. The two of them didn't even pay attention to each other that it was chiming 2.30 a.m. and a new day was already starting to arrive in small steps! It was a heady time for them, the time spent in the compound had caused them to lose track of time and they could not tell for themselves what time it was.

When the doe returned from the bathroom she noticed the fox sitting in his seat as always staring in a direction unknown to her. She saw that under his left paw was a memory stick with some rather gruesome recordings on it, she quickly guessed that he was wondering. She sat down next to him hoping he would pay attention to her, but he was too thoughtful to pay attention to anything else.

"Even though we managed to settle this case you don't feel happy do you?" The doe asked. Nick paused to stare out of the window, looked at Judy and nodded with a movement of his head.

"There's seemingly this happy ending...but it turns out my father was in charge of it and my ex was bribed. It's hard to think about anything else...and then there's the footage. The most important thing is that my mother doesn't see it! This may sound horrible, but maybe it would be better... ekh...never mind" sighed the fox grimly. He resumed his earlier position as a philosopher, driving his gaze into the skyscrapers.

"I know it's a pretty tough choice...but think about it right? Remember that no matter what he did to you, he's still your father. Why not at least show him some mercy and destroy those records?" Judy replied. Fox glanced at the device for a moment, looked at it then looked at the doe. She stared at him with compassion, it was clear that she didn't want to release this footage to the police, she wanted to spare him, which frankly surprised him! Judy was usually the first figure to obey the law, now all of a sudden she wants to break the law and withhold important evidence for the case.

"I appreciate your words really dear, but I have to think about it...it's not that simple" replied Nick. Doe nodded with a movement of her head. She got up from her chair, walked over to the fox and kissed him tenderly on the head.

"Choose wisely," Judy said quietly. She backed away from him, then went to their bedroom to grab her pyjamas and dressing gown. Moments later she returned and locked herself in the bathroom.

When Fox was alone he took the memory stick out from under his paw and looked at it in the light of the lamps hanging over the table. It had a few scratches on the casing, but otherwise looked like new!

"Such a small, inconspicuous item...and so important" thought Nick. He had absolutely no idea what to do with it. In theory he was obliged to hand it over to the police, but on the other hand only he, Judy and Mark knew of the device's existence. The rest seemed not to know anything about it. This gave Nick even more freedom of choice as to what to do with it. Judy urges him to let it go, destroy the device, or delete it, but he feels an uncontrollable urge within him to fit it in and pass the item on to the police. However, what will that get him? His father will go to prison for life, it will be even worse when his mother finds out about the whole incident! Nick felt like he was in some kind of trap, for the time being he couldn't see a way out of this problem.

Suddenly he had another idea. He didn't ask his best friend, who often helped him in difficult situations like this one, for advice - to Finnick. It was after 2.30 a.m., so he didn't want to wake him up, but he decided that this was the person who could actually help him.