Chapter 53: Return

Chapter 53: Return

When the train stopped and passengers were given permission to be able to get out of their carriages, there was a small traffic jam in the corridors caused by everyone rushing to get out onto the platform most likely to meet someone they were waiting for. Judy felt terribly strange knowing that when she exited the train she would not be greeted by anyone, she would be alone. Her only goal would be to get to her flat where she could get a good night's sleep.

It was very bright on the platform thanks to the lamps that illuminated the brick platform, which was mostly covered by a thin layer of white snow, which was now gone. There were plenty of figures standing on the platform despite the late and dark hour, waiting for their friends or family to greet them with open arms. As Judy got off the train she saw most with their luggage greeting whoever was standing on the platform. Their hugs of warm greetings and laughter all around made the doe feel even more alone. It pained her to see them, not only were her parents surely angry with her, but Nick had still not been found, and the case was most likely still at a standstill! And that was where Judy took some comfort. She had wanted to get on with it for a long time, she expected it would be quite difficult to achieve anything without her, she had the opportunity now to prove something to herself and others, the question was what? Everything she could show she had already shown, no one can take away from her that she is a good police officer, perhaps a very good one, everyone knows she is good, humble. It could seem that Judy wants to prove something to herself, perhaps to make herself feel proud.

Riding the city bus up to the block of flats where Judy lives she was met by several greeters, they were complete strangers, but Judy greeted them with the same cordiality hiding her gasps. After the action with the wild boar, the doe was quite a popular figure in town, everyone practically associated her at least ( after all, she is the only rabbit who is a police officer). These small gestures, a simple hello, made the doe feel a little better and less lonely knowing that someone remembers her after all and even cares, because she was asked twice about her health after the unsuccessful action in the restaurant. She explained that she felt fine and everything would have been fine if it wasn't for the fact that she was later asked about those events and what could have gone wrong. The doe herself could not answer this question, after all, she could not say outright that the kidnapper had beaten them with his intelligence! The doe's pride did not allow it; she preferred to say nothing about it rather than admit defeat.

As her interlocutors left the bus exiting at their respective stops, Suzanne texted to Judy.

"Can we talk?" Suzanne asked. Judy looked around the bus - there were still quite a few travellers, and knowing what her sister Judy would want to talk about, she had to say no and postpone the conversation.

"Not for now. When I'm at the flat I'll call you," Judy wrote back, to which Suzanne agreed by sending a smiley paw up. It wasn't a conversation in a public place, and she wouldn't want anyone curious to overhear her topics and make trouble for her.

When she finally arrived at her flat and switched on the light in the kitchen Judy sighed with relief and looked around her accommodation with a slight smile. She hadn't been here for about two weeks, but she damn near missed these interiors, the kitchen, the living room, the bedroom. She immediately remembered all the funny moments she'd had with Nick here, it was mainly because of this that her mood improved a little. She closed the door behind her and sat at the table looking at the never dying city, in the same position as Nick. He often had a knack for it, especially when he was alone and no one was bothering him and he had a mug of warm coffee. He was always looking out at the city and searching for something, for Judy had never managed to guess what her boyfriend might be thinking about as he gazed up at the skyscrapers. Now she was doing just that, watching with a sigh the glowing neon lights strung across the tall buildings, the ends of which could not be seen through the dark night.