Chapter 26: Interrogation (Part II)

"How's that for your house?" Asked a still surprised Judy as they entered the glass skyscraper. Once they were in the stairwell and had entered the lift Nick sighed heavily and turned towards Judy.

"Ekh...I don't know and I honestly wouldn't want to know. Are you seriously that curious about my family?" Asked Nick as the lift started up. The person they were going to visit lived on the 8th floor, so there was no point in trudging up the stairs when a lift was available.

"You're my boyfriend so yes, I'm curious about your family," replied Judy to Nick's accusations.

"Believe me, there's not much interesting about it" replied Nick coolly. Judy did not reply. Talking to Fox about his family always ended the same way, so she didn't feel like continuing the dialogue. Internally she felt a little resentful, as a partner she felt that Nick should be open about all topics, even if they were quite embarrassing.

When the lift stopped on the 8th floor, they both found themselves in a snowy white decorated corridor. The condition of the staircase was much better than in the previous block, the corridor itself was warm and cosy, the flowers placed in the recesses in the walls caused a warm and fresh feeling. The only downside of this place were the lamps that emitted, white, cold colours.

Bratt, the person they were to go to lived at number 233, the brown door was on the right side of the corridor from the lift. Nick was the first to approach the door, knocking on it and introducing himself.

"Good evening, Nick Wilde, police, please open" Communicated the fox while knocking. After a few moments, the sound of the lock on the door being opened spread through the corridor, which was immediately followed by the door being opened. In the threshold stood a tall fox, with a dressing gown over his body and slippers on his feet. In his right paw he held a transparent cup, the contents in it looking like wine.

"Please come in," invited the fox as he entered his house. The flat looked remarkably good, the entrance was connected immediately to a large living room where a large white couch stood in the middle, a glass bench in front of it. Against the wall opposite stood a lit cooker, and above it was suspended a plasma TV. The right side of the living room was replaced by a large window that allowed the view of the fox district from several tens of meters above the ground. There was a kitchen island in front of the couch, and a staircase was mounted on the railing by the couch.

"Please sit down," said Bratt pointing to the couch. Nick and Judy, after a quick look around the flat, sat down on the couch waiting for the host himself to do so, who poured himself some wine in his glass at that time. He pointed the dark blue bottle in the direction of the policemen and asked them if they wanted a drink, but they both refused, explaining that they were on duty.

"Ah yes," sighed Bratt sitting down across from his partners. Judy took out her notebook with a pencil and Nick a dictaphone which he placed on the glass bench.

"Okay then Mr Bratt Gun, tell us when did you last see the missing man?" Nick asked, after firing up the voice recorder, which started flashing red every second.

"The last time I saw Cady was less than a week ago, she was wearing a red jacket, long navy blue jeans, and black and white shoes, I don't know where she was last, I heard she was somewhere around Riverstreet, but I don't know what she might have been doing there"

"Riverstreet again" thought Judy with intrigue. For the second time the missing person was roaming around the same area. By this time Nick saw Bratt looking at Judy for most of the speech. His gaze moved from him to Judy, and stayed on her. Fox could read from Bratt's gaze a kind of surprise, a hint of surprise. Nick was sure of it when Bratt's gaze flickered to Nick for a moment, then jumped to the rabbit.