Chapter 65: Decision

Stepping inside the premises, Nick immediately noticed the fox waiting in their favourite meeting place. At the window, he watched the front door and when he saw his red and white friend he immediately rose from his chair and spread his arms wide so that he could hug his friend who had recently gone missing after all! Nick smiled at Finnick's reaction and then, of course, the men hugged, Finnick squeezing him probably as hard as he could as Nick felt himself slowly losing access to oxygen.

"Ahh, how good it is to see you Nick! I already thought you were done for! That would have been a real tragedy! Luckily, you probably figured something out as always and managed to escape eh?" Said Finnick cheerfully. The two men settled into their seats and to Nick's surprise, there was already coffee on the glass table.

"Well...I guess you could say that, the groundwork is done and the case on Judy's side and mine is now over... except for one thing," replied Nick.

"Except for one thing? What do you mean?" Finnick asked curiously. The red-haired fox pulled a small, because inconspicuous, blue device out of his pocket, a memory stick they'd gotten from the doctor at the complex where all the action was taking place.

"Do you know what this is?" Asked Nick placing the device on the table top. Finnick picked up the device and looked at it, he had little trouble telling that it was a memory stick - a portable data storage device.

"Well it's a memory stick, but what about it?" Asked a perplexed Finnick. Nick looked around to see if anyone was focusing on their conversation. It was a rather...controversial topic, so it would be better if no one heard the dialogue. Nick moved gently closer to Finnick to speak more quietly so no one would hear.

"This whole operation was managed by my father and helped by my ex, Caroline," Nick said quietly. Just as he had assumed, Finnick was surprised, almost in shock, when he heard this! His questioning gaze was quite clear, so Nick nodded in confirmation of the information.

"Are you serious? How did that happen!" A stunned Finnick asked. His wide-eyed expression made it clear that he could barely believe what he was hearing.

"Quite a long story. The thing is, my father, together with a rather large team, decided to do...a sort of adrenaline shot, but only for the foxes...and they almost succeeded! Luckily we were able to uncover and destroy everything in time," explained Nick. His friend went on to seem confused by what he was hearing, it all sounded so abstract as to be almost impossible!

"Are you sure he's behind all this?" Finnick asked.

"My father is currently in prison. While we were there, I found out everything, where it all started and what the plans were. Those kidnappings, what there were during the last weeks in the Fox Quarter were just a ruse to make sure nobody started snooping in the other direction! Everything was thought out, they almost succeeded, but we managed to get away with the device...Mark was also taken, we promised it would be better for him. The case has already been solved, the police are already catching and locking up all the suspects," Nick explained. Finnick listened intently and looked at the device that lay on the table in front of him. It all sounded rather threatening, but it was a good thing that they had just kidnapped Nick and Judy.

"Okay, but what's it all for?" Finnick asked.

"The injection worked like an adrenaline shot. When you injected it, you were supposed to get more strength, more energy, you supposedly didn't feel any pain afterwards! It was only supposed to work on foxes. They wanted to use it to attack Zootopia and take it over!" Nick explained. It sounded dangerous, and threatening! And shivers went through Finnick's body when he heard about it!