Chapter 17: The Friends

While Judy celebrated Christmas with her family, Nick and Finnick in their humble but good company also celebrated the holiday in style. Yes, they said a prayer and shared a wafer, but their dinner was very different. Finnick again suggested pizza, which Nick also didn't mind, so the choice was simple. After saying a prayer and sharing the wafer they ate their dinner and watched TV. As was customary during the holiday season there were mostly Christmas movies on, some better made, some worse, but it didn't really matter. Nick and Finnick mainly talked to each other anyway, rather than focusing on the movie, which was mainly flying as a background voice. As a snack, the men made themselves popcorn, which fit perfectly as a side dish to eat during the movie screening.

"Are we going to spend New Year's Eve together too?" Finnick asked while watching one of the movies.

"You know, I think I'll be at the police station at that time so I doubt it"

"will you be working during New Year's Eve?" Repeated Finnick in surprise. Finnick found it hard to believe that Saturday was a working day, but he had to find out for himself when he found a real, legitimate job.

"I pity you Nick, to work on a day like this..."

"Well, actually, there's nothing to be sorry about. I'll be with Judy then, so it won't be too bad," replied Nick.

"Are you going to push it forward?" Finnick asked. Nick furrowed his brows giving off a questioning look, which forced Nick to clarify the question.

"Are you going to push your relationship with Judy "

"Ekh...you know, for now it has to stay the way it is, but already some plans for next year"

"Plans?" Repeated Finnick curiously.

"Exactly. I don't want to give them away yet, you know...it's just a thought, but who knows..." Replied Nick scratching his head. He liked to have his life planned out, he was a good organiser and had a head for planning. The ice cream business wouldn't have been so successful if it wasn't for Nick's talent for planning precisely.

"And do you have any plans for next year?" Nick asked.

"Um...I'm not as good at planning as you, but I think I'd like to find someone for myself," replied Finnick after a brief hesitation.

"Someone for more than a few months?" Nick asked ironically. In his mind he continued with his friend's relationships that didn't last more than 4 months.

"You know, that's what high school love is. Now I'd like to meet someone who will be with me for the long haul."

"Hm, sounds like it would be for speed dating"

"No, just not that! I've already participated in that once...never again!" Finnick replied.

"Why? Was it that bad?"

"Well, there you just don't know who you're going to meet...I once met a rather... original lady"

"Ah I see" replied Nick. For the next few minutes they sat in enjoyment chewing popcorn watching a movie. The two of them didn't have a lot of things to do, it was cold outside and during the holidays it was not a good idea to go out just to go out. If they had more money they could distribute it to the needy in the area, but unfortunately the balance of both was not the most high. They themselves had to save money to be able to afford luxuries.

"Have you made a wish for your parents?" Finnick asked at one point. Nick furrowed his brow and his expression grew serious. He didn't answer for a few moments, only replying when Finnick snapped him out of his thoughts.