Chapter 67: The hearing

"A month after the closure of the kidnapping case, it finally seems that everything will be concluded at noon today. According to our sources, Mark W., the chairman of the whole operation will have a court case in which an official verdict will be given in the case. According to our experts, Fox faces between 10 and 30 years in prison for mass kidnapping and sowing terror in the city. This is the first major scandal in Zootopia since the raptor attack, so it will be hard to get a soft hand from the judges. In addition, it emerged during the investigation that his helping hand was the now-defunct Fox District Police Chief Caroline. The girl was caught after a failed attempt to poison Chief Bogo during a gathering at a natural history museum. The case is an emergency one, so the entire hearing will take place in a closed room surrounded by the military to ensure that there are no disturbances during the sentencing. More information will be given on 6 p.m. in a special edition of facts on our station."

2.00 p.m.

The hall was already closed and the court hearing had been going on for half an hour against Caroline and Mark, who until then had been in the custody of Zootopia Central Police Station. The room was practically empty - there were the judges, the prosecutor, and the convicts' lawyer, who was trying a cheap trick to defend his clients. On the bench sat Nick, Judy and Bogo, who were to be questioned from time to time if necessary. Initially, several representatives of the TV media were scheduled to be present, but everyone knew that if the truth came out the town would descend into even more negative emotions than before. This is partly why the courtroom (as well as both the court building) was surrounded by the military, by nature it was known and assumed that the media would try to get as much l of the case as possible, and no one could allow that to happen.

Specifically, the court case was a top-down prison sentence for the two suspects, they had no chance even to recuse themselves from their actions. More than a dozen stacks of documents were found in the complex about the research that had been carried out in the building, which included signatures from both Mark and Caroline. In addition, some of the co-workers had come forward confessing to the charges against them, making the chances of getting a small sentence really, as if not to say, small.

It pained Nick's heart to have to watch the scenes in which further evidence against his father was shown and he couldn't do anything about it - he couldn't object to the photos being taken at the complex, it was beyond the truth and to say they were fakes would only cause more trouble for him and Judy. Doe, on the other hand, understood perfectly the boy's pain as he listened to further arguments towards Mark with his head bent down. Towards Caroline he didn't feel much affection - she had already been quite treacherous during his high school days, that was one of the main reasons why he had broken up with her. What hurt him most was that, despite her reassurances that she had changed, she was still the same treacherous girl who reckoned Nick was still an immature man. He didn't wish badly for her - he just wanted her to finally learn that life requires change. Nick's mother didn't turn up for the trial - she didn't even know when exactly it would be! Nick knew that Mark hadn't 100% admitted what he was going to have to go to prison for, the news of the tests being carried out would have completely destroyed a relationship between them that might have seemed - blossoming again. Of course, this could do little if Mark went to jail for several long years.

"We now ask that Mr Nick Wilde approach us," said the judge calling the fox as a witness. Nick was prepared for such an eventuality, he had it all sorted out in his head, he knew what to say to each question. he stood up from his seat correcting his navy blue coat and then approached in front of the supreme court seat. As he walked he glanced at his father - he did not seem stressed, quite the opposite. He looked relaxed, full of relief that it would all be over at last. Caroline, on the other hand, sat full of nerves, her right leg rising and falling - it was her tic. She was probably nervous about the sentence she might get. When Nick stood before the court, he took an oath to tell the truth alone, and only the truth, after which he was immediately asked a question about what had gone on in the complex