Chapter 56: Among Us

Chapter 56: Among us

"Even though it is only the beginning of the year and we are in the middle of winter we can certainly determine that the atmosphere will be unusually hot on the day at this year's Peace Prize Conference! After the awards organisation decided to hold the event in the middle of Zootopia, in a nature central museum, and they invited important representatives of foxes to the event as special guests due to the mysterious disappearances of their species a wave of criticism spread around the world, isn't that over the top? It has come to our attention that there are some people who came here with fear, fearing that this time they would fall victim to the infamous kidnapper who has been operating around the Fox Quarter for several weeks, but who knows if he will decide to act at this year's event! The other big question is whether the ZPD police staff will be able to keep the event safe, we know they've been unsuccessful recently, but who knows if the reforms that have supposedly gone through the police have made a difference? Will anything happen? That's what we'll find out in the next few hours!"

It was that evening - guests, prize candidates and, of course, the foxes arrived at the museum and went inside in special protection, making sure they were not in danger. The atmosphere was indeed as heated as ever at meetings of this kind - there were media, security guards, police officers, guests, prize winners, special guests, even one ambulance on standby in case of an accident! Seeing this, the voices that there might be danger were getting louder. After all, there are so many safeguards for a reason, everyone knew what and who was at stake, but no one said it out loud, everyone tried to keep themselves occupied with a good time.

The police, as planned, were positioned in their established positions an hour before the party started. Before the first guests arrived and with them the media, the officers thoroughly scoured the area for any hazards or bags left behind in which something might be found. Once the area was searched and deemed safe, the museum stood open for visitors. As it was said in the plan - a dozen police officers walked around the 1st floor looking into every alley checking for anything suspicious, the ground floor was also scoured in the same way apart from the wing where Judy was. There was no exit from there, so there was not even a way to get there without going inside the museum through the main entrance. The main inspection was in the main hall of the musuem, where there were the most visitors, who enjoyed the rich refreshments on display until the conference. Judy, as agreed, sat by the cameras at all times keeping an eye on what was going on around the venue - the new, better quality and more cameras worked very well. The quality, the sound was very good. It was much higher-end equipment than what the museum was offering from itself. The equipment cost a few thousand dollars, but if the conference ends without problems the police will easily make up for this financial loss. For the police, it was a very important day; whether they kept their jobs depended on it. Not everyone was in the risk zone, but Bogo knew that he was on the first list to lose his job. That's why he gave a rather motivational speech before dispersing to his position, specifically something along the lines of intimidation that if the plan didn't work out everyone would be subject to all sorts of consequences. And all so that on this night everyone would give 100% without looking at anything, so that they could then rest in the knowledge that everything would be better from now on. He himself, by the way, stood at the entrance to the museum and watched to make sure everything was in order, searching the guests, checking that they were not bringing anything suspicious inside. Everything looked like the night would be peaceful and without any major problems.

After most of the guests had gathered to the centre of the room and it became a bit crowded the task of checking the room was a bit more difficult due to the reduced visibility. It also got a lot louder and louder, and it was harder to hear specific sounds. Despite this loudness, Judy from the cameras was fortunately still able to see anything that would seem like a threat, everything so far looked like an ordinary, quiet and boring party that would not bring any twists and turns. Nevertheless, the big attention the doe decided to devote to the dozen or so foxes who were in their company almost all the time, the others rather trying to avoid their company (due to a few things), it was quite a sad sight, even though they are foxes one would at least talk to them, but oh well. Such is society. For a very long time their breed had been persecuted in some way, not one reason why most foxes lived in the Fox District, where the fox population was over 80%! And compared to Zootopia, this was a very high percentage, one might even say too high.