5

Sophie

I am so angry. I'm angry, I'm hurt, and most of all I feel betrayed by the two people I thought I could trust more than anyone else in the world.

It's one of the biggest lessons our parents teach us when we are young, stranger danger. My parents just sent me off with one. Signed, sealed, and delivered my fate. The worst part, I don't even know this guys name, much less anything else.

I keep my eyes pinned to my thighs. I don't owe this man anything and I certainly don't want to look at him when I'm this vulnerable. Weakness is not a side of myself I need him to feel like he has any type of control over.

"I'm Mason, by the way." His voice was soft, gentle. It encompassed a certain gruff edginess that was alluring and yet dangerous at the same time. As if the tone of his voice could serve as a warning to tread carefully around him.

"Sophie." I replied quietly, still focused on my knees.

There was a few more beats of silence before he let out a deep breath and turned onto the interstate towards the mountains.

"Look, I know this is weird and scary and I promise that when we get back to the house I'll explain everything to you. I just want you to know that you don't have to be afraid of me. I'm not going to hurt you." He paused for a moment. "My mother would kill me if she even heard of such a thing." He sounded amused which was ironic because that was the last thing I felt.

I didn't say anything in response which seemed to rattle him a little. Despite not knowing anything about him other than his name, I did feel a little amused that he was tapping his knee. I knew it because I could see from my peripheral.

It took roughly an hour to get to his house. It was now dark outside and the gravel driveway stretched for a while before the car suddenly stopped. I made a move to unfasten my seatbelt as the door opened beside me and I let out a squeal.

"Shit, sorry." Masons semi familiar voice came from the direction of the breeze.

I climbed out of the car, looking around but still refusing to look at him. Through the dark, I could see another man getting my luggage from the back of the car as Mason thanked him and ushered me up the stairs towards the lavish brick house.

There really wasn't enough light to fully appreciate the exterior and as we stepped inside I knew I wasn't going to be able to run from whatever this was.

Cameras covered every inch of the entryway, and as I was escorted into the kitchen and living room areas I noticed that they were positioned to cover every inch of the entire house.

"Mason? Is that you?" A female voice echoed from the hallway. "Oh it is! Sophie, oh dear I'm so glad you came." A small woman with dark hair smiled as she walked towards us.

I pressed my lips together and strained a smile back. I didn't want to be rude to her, she seemed kind enough and perhaps she could even help me ...

"Mom!."

Mom? Guess she won't help me escape. I thought to myself.

"Sophie, I'm Julie, I've known your mother since we were in college. You must be exhausted, can I show you to your room?" She began.

"Actually I need to speak to her." Mason cut her off, but she dismissed him with a wave of her hand.

"Nonsense. You can do it tomorrow. She has obviously had a long day and she should rest before you unload all that baggage on her." Julie snarled back causing me to chuckle just a little. "See, she agrees with me."

I bit my lip so I didn't dig a bigger hole for myself. The last thing I needed was for him to be hostile towards me when I literally had no where to hide.

I followed Julie upstairs as she pointed to where her room was, a spare room, and then at the end of the hall where Masons room was. Opposite his room was another room with a queen bed.

"This will be your room, at least until you are married and then you'll sleep in Masons room. I know it's a lot, but try to make yourself comfortable and if there is anything you need just ask." She smiled kindly as I stepped into the room and set my suitcase on the bed.

"Thank you." I responded out of courtesy. The reality was that I wanted nothing more than to scream.

Once she was gone I closed the door and turned the lock before climbing into the shower and letting the hot water run over me. Under the spray of the water I could let my tears go, especially since it was unlikely that anyone would hear me through the thick brick walls.

I sat down in the tub, hugging my knees as I cried for what felt like hours. I cried for the future I wanted, the hard work I had done that had been reduced to nothing in an instant. I cried for my parents, for their decision to give me away like some piece of furniture they could sell when times were hard. Lastly I cried for myself, because this house, this bathroom, everything around me signified that my life was no longer mine to live.

When the water turned cold I turned the faucet off and wrapped myself in a towel, slowly drying off in a daze before putting on a set of pajamas. I didn't bother to dry my hair, instead climbing into the queen sized bed that didn't feel right. It wasn't mine, yet another reminder that I was no longer at home.

I got up not long after and took a seat on the window couch built into the bay style window. From here I could see the perfection of the stars and the moon. The vastness of a universe in which I was nothing but a speck.

I wrapped the small couch throw around myself and let the exhaustion of the day wash over me until the stars blurred into nothingness. At least in that nothingness my thoughts were peaceful and still.