11

Sophie

My head is pounding as I pull the blankets back over my face to block out the sunlight. I have never drank more than a sip before last night and after two glasses of wine everything was blurry.

When I finally feel that my eyes are adjusted I lower the blanket and find the glass of water on the nightstand. I drink it as if there was nothing better on earth to chug in a few seconds even though it does very little to ease the pounding in my head.

I force myself to sit up and realize I'm still in my dress from last night. Clearly, Mason was considerate enough not to change my clothes, something I should thank him for later.

I change into some pajama pants and a shirt and decide that today is wasted for nothing else but recovering.

I am never drinking again.

I climb back into the queen size bed and pull the blankets back up before turning on the tv mounted on the wall. I settle with some romance movie playing on the TV and let myself drift in and out until a gentle knock on the door rouses me awake.

"Come in." I yelled, cursing myself when my head begins to pound again.

"Morning Soph." Masons voice is low and quiet and i internally thank him for being considerate of my hangover more than I apparently was for myself.

"I feel like shit." I whined.

"I take it you don't drink much?" He smirked as I peeked from under the blankets.

"I've never drank, at least not a full drink." I admitted, kind of wishing he would hurry up whatever he was here for so I could close my eyes.

"Wow, that explains a lot." He said to himself more than to me. "Anyway, I brought you some Aleve for the headache and I made you some pancakes, you kind of mentioned they were your favorite at dinner and I figured it might make you feel better." He explained setting a plate of pancakes beside the empty water glass.

"Thanks." I said, grateful that he was trying to help me, and yet confused because I didn't remember telling him that.

"Let me get you some more water and then you can get some rest." He picked up the glass and disappeared for a few minutes before returning with more water.

He picked up my cellphone and punched something into it before showing me the screen.

Future husband.

"If you need something just text or call. I have to go to the office in a little bit, but I'll have my phone and mom will be here if you need something." He explained as he got up to walk back out.

"I didn't embarrass myself did i?" I asked

"Nope, but you did relax and play the perfect loving fiancé." He smiled. "Feel better Soph."

"Thank you."

With that he was gone. I took two of the Aleve pills and washed them down with water before taking a few bites of the pancakes he had made.

They were delicious and very obviously made from scratch which was kind of impressive since I didn't know Mason could cook. Once I was done I curled back up and let myself go back to sleep. My first hangover experience was complete and I couldn't wait to feel better.

.....

I woke up several hours later to darkness. The TV was switched off and after I turned the lamp on I noticed that my empty plate had been cleared from the room as well.

I felt so much better than this morning and somehow my first concern was that I needed to brush my teeth. Once that task was out of the way I set out to see if anyone was here.

As I approached the stairs I could hear voices from downstairs and quietly, I made my way towards the voices.

"I need a venue by tomorrow morning, you'll have three days for the rest, but I need you to figure that out first." Mason was saying.

"Yes dear, I understand that. But what are you going to do about this?" I heard papers ruffling around. "Sophie is finally getting comfortable here and the last thing we need is some tabloid putting her back into her shell." It was Julie speaking back to him.

I didn't want to pry or eavesdrop so I went to the kitchen and open and closed the fridge to make my presence known before I walked into the living room.

"Hey." I said, paying attention to the frown in Masons eyebrows and the worried look on Julies face. "What's wrong?"

"How are you feeling?" Mason asked.

"Better thanks." I gave him a small smile as his mom tried to cover something on the table. "What's that?" I asked walking to the table to reach for it.

"The press was at the restaurant when we left last night." Mason grimaced. "You were drunk but not in an embarrassing or hide away forever type of way."

"Okay, so?" I asked as I flipped the magazine over and shrieked at the picture on the front.

"Yeah so they took that picture." He sighed as I took a second look.

It was me and obviously Mason. My hands were wrapped in his hair, while he had one hand, the one closest to the camera firmly gripping my waist. That wasn't what surprised me though, no. What surprised me was that I was smiling while our lips were locked and we were obviously doing more than what you would call a simple peck.

"I don't ... I don't understand?" I looked to Mason for confirmation.

"I was going to tell you when you felt better." He defended himself and I wasn't mad at him. We would have to kiss soon enough since I had to marry him.

"No!" I spoke harshly, turning to walk away when his hand caught my wrist and stopped me.

"Mom, give us a minute." He said pulling me to the couch as his mother walked away somewhere.

"I'm sorry, I'm not mad at you." I apologized as I tried to make sense of my emotions.

"Then what is upsetting you?" He asked as his hand came down to rest in my thigh.

I scooted myself away from him a little, giving us some space as thought about how to answer the question. This acting was only temporary until he was tired of me and I couldn't let myself get too invested. Still, I couldn't lie to him either.

"I'm not mad about the picture." I reinforced as I looked at the floor. "I'm upset because that would have been my first real kiss and I don't remember any of it."

I sat in the couple beats of silence that followed before I heard him groan. The sound of it making me embarrassed and uncomfortable, so instead of facing whatever he was about to say, I quickly got up and ran back to my room.

So it was hardly surprising when a knock followed a few minutes later.