Chapter fifty : The day I thought I'd never have.

Maya.

We're here. The address that a kind lady gave us. My dad was right, they really are known here. They were all more than welcoming to us here as soon as they saw the picture of me with my grandmother.

I love it here. I definitely want to visit back. The energy here is so much better than in New York, but I know it has a lot to do with the fact that people don't know who Dante is here. People smile, they don't look away. They talk to me, they don't walk away from me. People in New York are scared of me, scared of what Dante will do. It gets annoying at times, I'm happy to be away from that for a little while.

I haven't seen her yet. I found out that her name is Isabel. She is 48 and she looks just like me. Another question answered that always burned in the back of my mind. I don't look like Lindsey. I have my father's jaw, but that's all. I don't look like them. I look like her.

"You ready?" Dante asks. We stand in front of the door. It is like the moment of reuniting with my father all over again, just with less anger. I hold anger for him. I don't hold anger toward my mother. She did what was best for me, my father said the same thing but I don't believe him. My mother had no way of contacting me, my father did and he chose to stay away.

"Yea, I'm excited actually," I respond. It feels weird to feel this way because I expected to be scared.

Before we can knock on the door, the door flings open. An older woman stands on the other side.

"Maya! Estás aqui!" She says happily and hugs me instantly, I laugh and tears swell up in my eyes.

"Te he extrañado tanto," She says and smiles. "Oh, I'm sorry. I will speak English," She says and looks at Dante. He smiles and nods appreciatively.

We step inside and take off our shoes like she asked us to.

"She is in the living room, she is really excited to see you," My grandmother tells us. "She cried all morning."

I chuckle and Dante and I walk toward the living room. I find myself playing with my fingers because I'm so nervous.

Then I see her, tears in her eyes as she looks at me. We both don't say a word.

"Mija" She just says. My heart skips a beat. I look a lot like her. Same eyes, similar noses, and the same beauty mark on the right side of our lips.

"I..."

She cuts me off by standing up, she walks towards me—scared to throw me off, and hugs me. Tears stream down my face and I let out a sob. This all feels so surreal.

"Please, sit," She says and we sit down. She takes my hand, "I never expect this day to come."

"Me neither," I chuckle through my tears.

"Lo Siento," (I'm sorry) She says and now lets out a sob. "If I knew what Lindsey would do to you then I'd never leave you with her."

"It's alright, you didn't know," I assure her.

"Did you have a safe trip?" She asks and I nod. There is so much to talk about and yet I have no idea where to start.

"Is this your boyfriend?" She asks and I nod again.

"Dante, his name is Dante," I tell her and he shakes her hand. She stands up and gives him a hug.

"Thank you for taking care of my daughter," she says and now I chuckle. Dante looks so uncomfortable in this hug. He hates hugs.

She sits down next to me.

"I heard about a coma?" She mentions and I nod.

"I was in a coma for a few months. It took a toll on my life, and Dante's."