Chapter 29

Carina's POV

Returning back to Querencia was bittersweet, but I had a lot of good memories to go back home with so I wasn't too sad. Now all I had to focus on for a few more weeks in December was finishing the semester in school and try to pass finals for all my classes. I really wished I didn't have to, but I couldn't give up now. Especially since my Public Speaking professor was trying more than usual to fail me in his class, but I managed to pass every assignment he gave me. I wish I didn't have to struggle so much in a class like this, but a professor with a personal grudge against me makes it impossible to wish for so. I spent most days when I wasn't working or taking classes to spend time in the school library or at home studying for my finals and last-minute projects. One night, I must have dozed off while reviewing something for one of my classes as I felt someone nudging my shoulder and I realized I had fallen asleep in the library. I raised my head up to see it was Finn who was smiling down at me.

I returned his smile as I rubbed the sleep away in my eyes and stated while yawning, "Hey, Finn. What time is it?" He scratched the back of his neck as he answered with a apprehensive tone, "Well, now it's almost fifteen after 7:00, so..." I jerked upwards and got out of my chair as the fact that it was past sundown was alarming and I should head home before the library closed. "Oh God, I spent more time here more than I was planning to", I remarked, "Well, I'm gonna call it a day." I walked out of the building and was heading to my car when Finn catches up to me and says, "If you need some help studying for your finals, I can help out!" I turned back to him when he said that, and I shook my head to politely decline, "No, thanks, Finn. I'm okay and I wouldn't want to take up the time you need to study for your finals." He pressed on, "It's no problem at all, I was good at tutoring other classmates during high school and was even helped out other kids in my neighborhood."

I stopped in front of my car to turned and face Finn who looked desperate for me to accept his offer as I asked him, "Finn?" "Yes, Carina?" "Are you just offering to help me study so you can spend more time with me?" The color in his face drained as his expression answered my question, "Uh, well, you see, I..." I giggled at his cute behavior, and then I told him, "That's adorable of you to ask, Finn. If it makes you feel better, I'll let you help me." His face lit up and he looked like the happiest boy alive. Then I raised a finger to warn him, "But I hope you're aware already that things with me and Remington are serious. This better not be some kind of scheme to steal me from him, because if you try anything, we're done. You seem like you haven't changed much since we were kids, but I've got other people now in my life. Do not try to be possessive of me and understand there's more to me than that little girl you once knew. Okay?" He seemed taken back by my words, but after a moment of contemplating to himself, he nodded and agreed to my terms, "Okay, Carina. I promise. I'll do whatever you want so we can still be friends."

The next day while I had some time before heading to work, Finn met with me in the study hall where he helped me go over some topics for my history class. In a way, it did help because some terms got me mixed up with others, which I didn't want. I guess I wasn't used to having someone help me because I've always done everything myself and it's worked well for me so far. I got to thinking how things might have been if Finn had stayed by my side all those years and maybe I wouldn't have felt so lonely. I hope he doesn't hate me for moving on without him. "Say, Finn", I asked to get our minds off of school for a while, "You said you're staying in a dorm here on campus. Surely you've got a roommate, right?" He looked up at me and nodded to my question, "Yeah, a girl named Leona Willow. She's a science major which I think is pretty cool." I nodded as I continued, "Ah, that is cool. Do you get along with her?" He shrugged as he looked at his notebook, "I don't know. She's always studying, so she barely has any free time. But there are moments when we do talk."

I smiled as I was curious about the new potential friend Finn may have, "Aw, that's nice. Do you like her?" The last thing I was expecting was for Finn to look up at me and make me feel like I was accusing him of something. He exclaimed in an irritated tone, "Carina, look. I appreciate you trying to make me feel like I've got a chance at making this place my new home, but I honestly believe that won't happen because I don't know anybody here and it feels so strange." I remarked, "Yeah, and? I was a stranger here too, and I managed to make it my own home. I never felt like that back in my hometown and to say that is fucking depressing. I'm just saying you could find people here who are kind and amazing and give you the chance to feel happy here." I hoped my words would get through to Finn as a friend who wants him to be happy like I am after living here for a year now. Unfortunately, he rejected my ideology as he stood up from our study session and said looking away from me, "There's only one person who will makes me like this place. You." He walked away, making me feel like I was the enemy for pushing him to feel secure in my place.