Chapter 70

Nina's POV

There were still many young people here who were waiting their turn to audition for a spot to attend this school. An adult who worked for the school called each person by last name and was barely getting to those whose last name started with "L". While I knew they would be getting to "M" soon, I didn't think they'd get to me so soon, but I still felt nervous for when they would. Emerson could sense how I was feeling and pulled me closer to him as he wrapped his arms around me and hugged my body. It was baffling, but just feeling Emerson's presence as he held me so securely made me feel so much calmer than I had been, and I leaned in more into his chest as he petted my hair. He planted a soft kiss on the top of my head and said to me, "You're gonna do amazing, my sweet moon child, I just know it. Even if they don't choose you as a student, don't ever let it define your talent and worth as a person. I hope you remember how special you are to be living here on Earth where everywhere you go feels like heaven."

Emerson's sweet and uplifting words were enough to help restore the confidence I had lost for a while as I gently kissed him in gratitude for being so caring and wonderful. He didn't hesitate to kiss back and hold my hand close to his heart as it was beating for me like mine was for him. After another few minutes, I had finally been called to begin my audition which would be in a large reception hall before a few teachers and possibly the headmaster of the academy. I tried not to panic as I stood near the piano that was placed in the center of the stage for me and faced the staff who were stating into my soul. I gulped down my anxiety as I cleared my throat and introduced myself, "Hello. My name is Nina Moon, and it's an honor to be playing for you to be considered a student for the following school year. I may look like an outsider, but I've actually spent most of my childhood in Europe and have been playing the piano ever since I was a toddler. Thank you for considering me enough to let me audition for you today."

They all nodded and seemed like they didn't care much about what I said, which made me feel a little bad, but in the corner of my eye, I noticed something up in the balcony seats of the reception hall. I quietly gasped to myself as I realized Emerson had snuck into the theater and was waving "Hi" to me as I gave him a soft yet grateful smile. I proceeded then to take a seat in front of the piano on the bench and then took a deep breath before I placed my hands over the keys and let the music take over my body as I proceeded to play an original piece I had composed myself with the help of Emerson and his brothers when I decided a few months ago to play something new and refreshing instead of something old and familiar. I soon felt myself get lost in the music that was playing and everything around me disappeared. I remembered why I loved playing the piano so much despite my parents treating it like an obligation. It was my only way of escaping the reality I live in when things felt like they were getting too hard and I knew I had a form of escapism.

When I had finished playing, I opened my eyes again and turned to face the staff whose expressions were still blank, and I wondered if they hated my performance. My smile dropped and I was about to walk out before the headmaster stopped me in my tracks as he said, "Miss Moon, tell me something." I turned back and stepped closer to the edge of the stage to hear him better, "We get thousands of applicants like you who play a form of music in their own unique way and are considered the most talented individuals in the nation. What makes you believe you're one of those individuals if not better?" His question threw me off at first and I didn't know how to answer. Then I looked up at Emerson who was smiling at me with such pride and admiration for me, the answer became clear to me. I faced the headmaster once more and stated my response in a clear and confident tone.

"Unlike other individuals I've known who've been bred and trained to take up music as a desirable trait for their status or reputation, I believe I am just as talented as they all are mainly because my passion for music is genuine and I play for no one but me. However, I do wish to build up my skills to be good enough so I can share my talent with the world which runs on music since it is the one thing that brings all of humanity together. It's taken me a while to get to this point and it doesn't matter to me now whether or not I'm chosen to attend this school. But after finding people who share the same passion as I do for music and firmly believe in me when I could not for a long time, I now know I'm worthy to be recognized as a talented musician who loves playing music just because. I thank you for your time and will wait for your response, whatever it may be." With that, I bowed in respect and headed out the exit. After leaving the building to get some air, Em had caught up with me and just seeing him brought tears to my eyes as I leapt up to hug him and tell him, "Thank you for being who you are. I'm so grateful for your existence." He didn't say anything, but I was okay with it as he held me tight in his arms and we stayed like that in silence for a while.