Prologue

1959 (10 years ago)

"FINN? FINN!!! WHERE ARE YOU!?!"

I was playing hide-and-seek with my friend Finn Sawyer that day and he was being really hard to find this time. We were with our parents at the park and there were a lot of kids here who were playing with their friends and siblings. I wish I had a sister or brother to play with, but Finn was like a brother to me anyway so I was happy.

"FINN, COME ON! IT'S NOT FAIR!"

I looked around the playground and stayed silent for a while in hopes I might hear something. After a minute, I heard a familiar voice giggle and I turned to see a figure hiding inside the kiddie tunnel and then sneak up on it to find Finn hiding inside, still giggling with his hand covering his mouth.

"HA! I WIN!!! AGAIN!"

"Yeah, yeah, alright. You win again, Carina."

He crawled out and then we sat on the sandy ground of the playground, my hands playing in it while he hugged his knees to his chest. We sat in silence for a while, both of us knowing that this was our last day together to play and hang out before Finn and his family had to move away to a new home far away from here and I'd never see him again. Probably ever.

"Are you...sad I'm leaving, Carina?", he asked me while I kept my eyes on the ground, not wanting to look at him because I'm afraid I'll cry and I really don't want to in front of him and in public. I shook my head and told him stull not facing him,"I am a little sad, Finn. But I'm not angry at you, don't ever think that. Just think of all the new memories you'll make with your mom and dad and all the new people you'll meet who will become your lifelong friends."

"But...you're my only friend, and I'd miss you a lot." I really can't cry right now, especially since after he leaves, I'll be starting junior high and will enter a new group of kids I won't recognize. "I'm sorry, Finn, but the truth is: I won't be the only friend in your life. You will make new ones and eventually, you'll fall in love and get married and move on with your life. Even if I'm not a part of it, you will eventually find happiness." I knew for sure he would be much happier than I was right now where no one seemed to respect a girl with naturally different hair that wasn't blonde.

I finally turned to him and took his wrists in my hands as I looked him sternly in the eye and told him, "Finn, you have to promise me something, nod yes that you'll promise." He nodded his head and I continued, "If after you move away and make a new life for yourself, you won't forget about me but you won't depend that I'll still be with you. When we get older, we'll be working on our own lives and dreams for ourselves, so you need to keep living your life and find happiness whether or not you see me again. Okay?"

He didn't answer immediately, just stared at me like I was the only thing he could look at and it made me a little nervous. He finally answered my question, "Okay, Carina. I promise, honest." I nodded and then he asked, "You won't...forget about me, right?" I smiled at him and gave him one more big hug on the playground as I told him, "Of course I won't forget you, Finn. You're the only person in this place who actually liked me and didn't hate my red and repulsive hair." "Well, I don't think that about your hair. In fact, I thought it was really pretty, but probably because its my favorite color." I giggled when he said that.

Little did I know, it would be the last time I would until 10 years later and after it was my turn to leave my hometown. And even though I promised him, Finn hadn't come into my mind for all those years. Until I entered my second year of college at Trouvaille University in Querencia around age 22.