Chapter 7

During the first weekend of August, the town of Querencia was hosting a carnival at the center of the town and was closing off most of the streets. It's been so long since I've got to go something so fun, I was so excited to be going with all my friends. I was bringing Fern with me since it's been a while she's gotten to go outside and the day was perfect. I secured her leash when I heard my door being knocked and I walked over to open it and find Remington standing there and it seemed like just seeing me made his expression much brighter. "Wow, Carina", he commented with a satisfied smile on his face, "You look so lovely and...angelic." I realized what he was referring to. The dress I was wearing was long and flowing and it was white with flowery patterns on it. I believed it was the best thing to wear on a perfect summer day like today.

I blushed and smiled as I brushed some hair from my face and told him, "Um, thank you, Rem

I blushed and smiled as I brushed some hair from my face and told him, "Um, thank you, Rem." He took my hands in his and twirled me around with one hand, observing me as the skirt of my dress floated and then he placed his hands on my waist and pulled me closer to his chest. My heart was beating so fast as I nervously gazed into his eyes that were lost in mine and he ran a gentle hand through my hair before holding the side of my face in his palm. "How did I end up with such an enchanting creature like you?", he asked softly, I fell more into his spell as I answered, "Because you figured out how to break down my walls when no one else could ever." He grinned so beautifully and pressed his lips onto mine so softly, it made me melt internally as I kissed him back and only the sound of Fern barking brought us back to Earth as we pulled away with embarrassed grins and then headed out my apartment. I locked the door and Fern was ecstatic to be outside as me and Rem walked down the street hand in hand on our way to the carnival where our friends would be waiting for us.

As we got closer to the area, it was like entering a fantasy land in a book where it was so colorful and there were so many people and tall attractions and rides that reached higher than the street buildings. There was music playing and I felt nothing but joy and excitement for the day I would spend with my loved ones. I spotted my friends and Remington's brothers as well as they were waiting near the go-karts and Nina was the first to hug me tight once we were close enough. She whispered something to me in my ear as we hugged a little longer, "I told Emerson. He said he's incredibly proud of me and wants to help me find a place in France if I get in." I squealed quietly and told her, "That's so great, Nina. Love that for you." We pulled away and caught up with everyone, including Emerson, Delilah, Sebastian, Allegra, and Scott. "You guys want to try out the Ferris wheel first?", Del suggested and we all agreed, I tied Fern's leash to a nearby pole so she'd stay put. We all bought enough tickets for the day and then headed over to the Ferris wheel and went into each seat two by two. I sat with Remington and after a couple of seconds, the ride started and the jolt of the seat startled me and I yelped a little to my embarrassment.

It was so thrilling to be in this ride, the way it goes all the way up and I could see the entire town from up there and it felt like I was on top of the world with Remington next to me. I think his favorite part of the ride though was when the seats went back down and I was a little scared of falling so I held onto Rem for safety, I glanced to see him smirking as he held me close to him. When the ride was over, I untied Fern and went with our friend to the food bar to buy some fries and shakes, and I bought a hot dog for Fern to eat. After lunch, Rem led me astray from the group and I was curious where he was taking me until we got close to what I couldn't believe was the tunnel of love ride. "REM!", I exclaimed in shock as he was about to pay for our ride, "You want us to go in there? I-I've never been on that ride before..." Rem chuckled as he handed the tickets to the guy in the booth, and then he took my hand carefully and kissed my cheek softly before telling me, "Don't be scared, ma chérie. I promise to behave..." He arched a brow saying that and I giggled, feeling more relaxed and I secured Fern near the booth before he led me into the boat shaped like a gondola and then it started moving into the tunnel which drew more light out and it was almost too dark for me to see.

Then there was some light shining from the ceiling and I could make out shapes of glowing angels and pink and red hearts scattered all over. It was adorably romantic, I would say, but I liked it. I couldn't help smile and blush madly as I slowly turned to Rem who was already looking at me with some strange kind of desire I hadn't seen in a while. He turned away for a moment and pretended to yawn and stretch his arms out only to put on around my shoulders and pull me closer. I smiled widely as I rested my head on his shoulder and hold him close in my arms, he ran his hand through my hair and planted soft kisses on my hair. "I dont know how to explain it", I started telling him, "But I feel like my life's gotten better since I met you, and all of our friends. Before last year, I made myself believe I was okay with the idea of living without love, but it turns out I was just lying to myself. Now that I have you", I look up at him, wishing I could dive deeper in those soft, beautiful brown eyes of his as I continued, "I would rather die than live the rest of my life never meeting you and loving you."

His eyes widened at my statement, and just like a clear signal we could understand, we held each other close as we kissed softly to start and end up growing slightly more passionate. I looked up for a second to find small, red rose petals were showering from the ceiling and it made us both smile at the sight of them covering us. Rem held me close to him in his arms and planted small and gentle kisses on every part of my face, returning to my lips for a little bit longer - the feeling of him kissing me so nice, I wanted this moment to last forever - and then he just rested his forehead on mine, both of us gazing in each other's eyes with silly grins on our faces. "I love you so much, Carina", he whispered softly to me, I whispered back, "I love you, too, Remington." The ride last for another five to seven minutes while we just cuddled and then there was daylight once more and we were at the end of the ride as we started to climb out. My feeling of euphoria and passion disappeared as I noticed something different about the booth before we went on the ride.

"Fern's missing..."