Chapter 58

Finn's POV

"I told you she would not return your feelings", Leona could tell I was still upset that Carina chose that troublemaker, Remington, over me. I was packing up to visit my old hometown to visit my parent's graves over spring break. I do it around this time every year since I was 18 in order to remind myself of what I lost and to never forget about them. The only inconvenience this time was that after Carina rejected me, I couldn't stop thinking about her and what she could be doing with Remington. I swear that look he gave me that day when he warned me to stay away from her made me so pissed, I believed I could be better for her than he ever could. What does he have that I don't? He may be attractive to her and charming, but I could be kind, selfless, and do whatever it takes to keep her happy. Why wasn't that enough for her? I turned to Leona as I finished packing up and stated in an irritated tone, "Just because she doesn't love me back doesn't mean I won't stop proving what a better guy I am for her than that jerk she's with." She sighed in disappointment and turned away from me as she said to me, "If you don't quit now, you're REALLY about to lose her for good."

Leona's last few words echoed in my head as I boarded the plane back to my hometown where I grew up with Carina and looked out the window. What does she mean I'll lose her for good? I'm only trying to show just what a better boyfriend I can be for her. I'm the one who loved her longer and never forgot about her all those years. I've proven to be more committed to her than anybody ever could. She's only known that guy for a year and acts as if she's met the love of her life in him. The Carina I know would never fall so easily or quickly. She's changed so much with the person she's become now compared to when we were children. She used to be so optimistic and cheerful and never relied on anyone. Now she's surrounded by so many people I don't know or could ever relate to and that cheerfulness in her isn't gone, but it's much more diminished compared to when she was younger. Life must've been so horrible to her, she needed me to take care of her and protect her from everything that's hurt her. Why can't she see that?

A couple hours later, I finally settled into my old hometown and even though I come here every year, it's still baffling how this place never changes. I bought some flowers and headed over to the town's cemetery where I had my parents' buried a while after they passed away when I was younger. As I stood in front of their graves that were close to each other, I thought back to the last few moments with my parents. They were heading to a fancy dinner with some coworkers and had my grandmother stay at our home to take care of me while they were out. I didn't want them going out so late, but they promised they would come see me as soon as they got back. They kissed my head and told me they loved me before walking out the door which turned out to be the last time I ever saw them. The news didn't sink in for a while until I went with my grandmother to confirm the bodies found in the car crash were my parents. I must have cried for months to realize they would never come back home, and they didn't keep their promise when they left me.

After a few minutes of paying my respects to my parents and letting them know they're still in my heart, I left the flowers on their graves and proceeded to walk away. I visited a local donut shop my parents would take me to as a kid and ordered some coffee with two donuts. I hung out inside for a while just taking in another year of grieving the loss of my mom and dad, hoping wherever they were now, they'd see me and believe I turned out well despite not being able to raise me longer than they wanted. It wasn't long until I heard a woman's voice call out to me and she sounded familiar for some reason, "Finn, dear, is that you?" I looked up and saw it was Carina's mother who spoke as she and her husband approached me, surprised to see me here after I haven't seen them in years. I smiled as I waved at her and they sat across from me at the booth I was sitting at. "Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Wisteria", I greeted them, "It's been a while. It's good to see you."

"Likewise, son", Carina's father stated, he then asked, "You visiting for old time's sake?" I shrugged and replied with, "Well, actually, I was just visiting my parents' graves. It's still hard that they're not with me anymore, but I'm doing the best I can." Carina's mother nodded and consoled with me, "I understand, Finn. I'm sure they would be so proud of you now. How have you been doing now?" I explained to both of them, "I've been doing pretty good, I guess. Currently attending the same college your daughter goes to now and we've actually met up again." They were interested to know I met up with her again since they've always liked me as her friend, but I didn't want to let them know about my newfound feelings for her. "Well, that's interesting", her mother said, "We knew our daughter went up there but she hasn't been making the best choices I've wanted for her. Still, I'm sure she's managing well somehow. How's she doing? Is she still with that scandalous and indecent boy we met once?"

Everything in me dropped as soon as she said that. She even introduced Remington to them and they didn't approve of him? How is it possible she chose to stay with a boy not even her family approves of? No wonder she's not close with them, she's literally rebelled against them ever since she moved to Querencia. I know I shouldn't do this, but my jealousy took control as I told them, "Actually, yeah, she is. Not only that, but...she's moved in with him." The looks on their faces when I said that reflected my reaction when she told me that herself. "Moved in with that boy?", her mother exclaimed in shock and appall, "Are they even married or engaged?" I shook my head which brought them more distraught as Carina's father exclaimed, "How could she do this to us? My little girl is losing herself to such a horrible boy." Her mother rubbed her temple as she cried out, "I never should have let her move out of our house. She would have done better if she stayed with us and let us decide what's best for her. Excuse us, Finn, but we have to go now." They walked away from me then and I realized what she meant by her parents being controlling. Realizing what I did, I was beginning to wonder: Did I just make things worse for Carina and her parents?