Chapter 49

Leona's POV

Returning back to school was more than I expected, especially since my roommate, Finn Sawyer, looked more frazzled than usual since I met him. When he returned from New York, he looked as if he had some kind of epiphany that changed his life, and it weirded me out a little. I asked him when he putting his clothes back out of his luggage, "Are you okay?" He seemed surprised by my question, "Huh? Yeah, I'm great. Why do you ask?" I shrugged as I explained my reasoning for my question, "I mean, you usual act so casual since we've been roommates, which is fine. But since you came back from winter break, you have this look in your eye as if something changed you and you act somewhat fragile. I'm just making sure you're okay, that's all. After all, you did the same for me." He nodded and understood then, "Oh, yeah, I'm fine. It's just that back in New York, I got to talking with my grandmother about my life here and reconnecting with the girl I knew as a boy. She told me that this girl must be very special if she somehow came back into your life and if she's special to me, I should try whatever I can to make sure I don't lose her."

Those words struck me for a while to think that a boy would actually be devoted to a girl he cares about. I never had much faith for men, but maybe that's because my family forced me to depend solely on my own success rather than anything or anyone else. When I asked him who she was, he told me it was the pretty redhead in one of his classes and the same girl who apparently got the rock n' roll ban in this town to be removed for good. Her name was Carina Wisteria, and for some reason, it sounded familiar. Then I remembered something a little while after. A month before I started the school year here, I had just moved here from where I came from and didn't really spend much time outside of my own home. But I do recall one time when I volunteered to work for a town fair around the time and I remembered selling tickets to a specific redhead girl who came with a punk boy which I assumed was her boyfriend as they asked to take a ride through the Tunnel of Love. If that's the same redhead my roommate is pining for and is still dating that guy, he's making a big mistake trying to go after her when she clearly looked madly in love with that boy.

A week had passed then and I was still in my dorm reviewing for one of my classes when Finn came in that evening. I noticed his expression had changed drastically and he seemed more irritated than I've ever seen him look. I asked him as he was lying back on his bed, "Would you like to talk about it?" He sighed in exhaustion as he responded with, "About what?" "Whatever it is you look upset about", I clarified. He turned over on his side and face the wall as he said, "I don't think you want to know." I knew it was inappropriate of me to assume, but I pressed on as I asked, "This wouldn't have to do with that girl you're pining for that's got a boyfriend, right?" I turned to look at his reaction, and when he didn't answer at all, I couldn't believe it. "Well, what did you expect?", I tried to tell him, "If she seems happy with the boy she's with, you should let her be happy and try not to pry if you care about her." He sat up and tried to justify himself, "I DO care about her! I care about her enough to think that her moving in with her boyfriend is wrong and immoral and it was probably him that made her do that. He's a bad influence on her and I won't have it."

This was worse than I expected as I closed my book and turned to face him in my chair, "What makes you think she didn't wanted to move in with him, too? Us women have standards, too, and aren't easily swayed by a boy's charm like you think we do. If it was her choice to live with him, you can't say anything about it." He faced away from me and sulked in his spot. I wanted him to understand so he wouldn't end up hurting himself, "Have you even told her how you feel about her?" He shook his head, and so I continued, "Well, then do me a favor. Tell her and even if she rejects you, you can still be a part of her life by being there for her as her friend and supporting her happiness even if it isn't with you. Otherwise, you'll torture yourself trying to take her for yourself when she already looks happy with the boy she's with." I raised my hands up and concluded with, "You don't have to take my advice, but trust me: If you keep being her good friend and respecting her wishes and choices, you'll save yourself the pain of losing her for good."

I turned back to my book and continued what I was doing as I heard him fall back on his bed as I was hoping he was thinking about what I told him. In all honesty, I don't know much about relationships because I don't have time for them. I ended up believing they were pointless and are only distractions to what really matters in life. Why should I care if my roommate ends up breaking his own heart because the girl he's in love with could never love him back like that? I don't know, maybe I just didn't want to see him hurt, even though I don't know him that well. True, he's a boy who seems to keep to himself a lot because that's probably how he's spent most of his life. But something about him tells me he's never wanted anything more than to have love in his life as if he lost it at a young age and it's affected him more than he could handle. He looks deserving of such a privilege, but he doesn't look prepared for the pain it could bring him. As someone who was beginning to care about him, I hoped he wouldn't be the cause of his own pain.