Chapter 1: I am Phantom, the hero who lives in the shadow

Spring has come.

Petals from cherry blossom trees began to fall dying the sidewalk in a bright light-pinkish color.

Cherry blossoms blooms during April which means it's now spring.

Cherry Blossoms aren't the only ones that blooms in spring.

April, the beginnig of another school year. Everyone tries to look their best as much as possible in order for them to make a good first impression amongst their peers that they'll be getting along with for the next tree years in high school.

Students in uniforms walking along the sidewalk commuting their way to school.

Vendors are opening their shops to start of their day for their business opportunities. You can even see some students loitering around the convenience stores ready to make their purchase.

Birds are chirping, singing as they have just returned from migration over the cold winter.

Ah yes, everything is proceeding normally as it does every fresh start of April... Except for one particular person...

"I am the shadow hero "Phantom", the one who lurks in the shadows and the one who controls the shadows. I, Phantom, is the shadow myself"

A young man with black and messy hair blocking almost half of his face with his overly grown bangs.

Along with his overly grown bangs already blocking vision of his face. he also wears a black mask covering all the way up to his nose making it even harder to do so.

The clothes he's wearing is not ordinary.

A red long coat that seems to be his school uniform modified to look like one, and wears fingerless gloves on both of his hands.

There was also a sword hanging on his back as if a swordsman would.

"I am the forgotten hero who saved the world from thousands of years ago"

He strike a cool pose by resting his right foot on the cemented seat surrounding the cherry blossom tree.

"The world might not remember my name but I still remember the world"

He strike another pose by spreading his hand covering his face with his left eye peeping through between his fingers which also the only visible part of his face.

"Even if no one remembers, I, Saito, the reincarnation of Phantom will carry on his legacy and the secret that have been shunned away by world"

He clenched his fist as if making his resolution. At the same time felt satisfied after saying his words.

Haha... Nailed the introduction.

"What's up with that guy?"

A passerby said.

"Don't look at him, he looks like trouble"

And another.

Who is this weird dilutional boy who's clear as day a chuunibyou you may ask?

He's none other that this story's main character Saito Okuzaki.

Hi, my name is Saito Okuzaki, an average 15 years old student who's starting his new life in high school... Well, that would have been my introduction if I wasn't in fact "Phantom", the hero of the shadows.

Yeah, a total chuunibyou.

Chūnibyō (中二病) is a Japanese colloquial term typically used to describe early teens who have grandiose delusions, who desperately want to stand out, and who have convinced themselves that they have hidden knowledge or secret powers. (Google)

I don't know when or how it started, before I knew it I already started looking up to shadow heroes and try to imitate them as much as I possibly can.

It was probably the time I watched that one anime? from a movie perhaps?...

Well, it's not that relevant. As long as you know that I like cool stuff like shadow heroes that's all that matters.

It's not that I only like shadow heroes. I like everything that I perceives as cool and it just so happens that shadow hero is at the peak of them all.

That's why I want to imitate them because I wanted to be cool myself and nothings cooler that a shadow hero.

Saito Okuzaki, a 15 year old chuunibyou who's starting his new journey in life called high school, currently walking on his way to school.