CHAPTER 56: Confrontation

The door slides open and the one behind it was Hitomi-san. With her, our classmates who were in the same team as Mocha-san's when they were playing volleyball.

And it seems like they wanted to say something.

Mocha-san pulled down the sheets showing herself and greeted them nervously.

"H-Hey, g, guys"

Am I gonna get scolded?

Mocha-san thought they were there to confront her about the match.

Just before anything happens, I stood up.

Time to make my shady exit.

"I'll leave you guys to it"

Now that I had my short rest worth, just when Class Rep Hitomi-san and the others arrived.

I casually made my exit as if, shadily trying to keep our private talk look suspiciously on purpose.

As if, they interrupted a secretive conversation just now between me and Mocha-san before they came in.

How was my shady exit. Was it shady enough to leave you question what we were talking about before you came in? Kuhaha.

Blending amongst the crowds is what a shadow hero does but it's still important to act shady from time to time to raise suspicion.

In the long term of things in being a shadow hero. Before revealing their true identity, they must lay out hints and act suspicious from time to time so it would make sense later on in the story if he decided it was time to reveal who he was.

Those hints made the revelation surprising and at the same time understandable when it's finally time for the viewers to know.

Simply put, here I tried to set up a foreshadowing if I ever decided it was time to reveal my identity as Phantom later on by acting suspicious by untimely leaving when someone arrived.

However, it was taken differently by Mocha-san and the others and thought I was just being considerate of the situation in order for them to have their private conversation.

"Mocha, are you okay now?"

"Y-Yeah"

Here it comes!

"You..."

She closed her eyes waiting for the thing that Hitomi and the others was about to say expecting to scold her.

"You did a good job holding out in there"

"?!"

Huh?! Did a good job on what..?

Mocha-san tilted her head and was confused by what Hitomi-san and the others meant by that.

"Yeah, you take that spike head on"

"Pfft. We didn't think you would do that"

"You were super brave. I chuckles* didn't think you chuckles*, you'd take the pfft ball head on"

"?!"

Mocha-san tilted her head more from confusion on what the others said, seemingly trying to hold back their laughter.

When she was running simulations inside her head, at worst case they would hate her for sucking at the game and the best outcome would be them not caring at all.

However, she did not expect to be praised and be treated like a hero.

"What do you mean...?"

She finally asked as to what they actually meant.

"You didn't know...? Oh yeah, you just transferred so you wouldn't"

Class Rep Hitomi-san then explained why they thought of Mocha-san as someone courageous instead of being disappointed at her that she was assuming.

"Actually, the upper classmen's we were up against were athletes who reached the nationals"

"Eh?!"

"We wouldn't even dare to try blocking their strikes. That's why we rhink of Mocha-san as the bravest out of all of us for taking the hit head on"

Looking back, the upper classmen performance was really well.

They manage to find a weakness in their team and accurately targeted it which is Mocha-san.

They properly receive the ball even at hard to reach and awkward places and.

Also, they displayed great team work when receiving and attacking.

If you think about it, they didn't have a chance of winning to begin with at how big the skill difference was compare to the enemy.

Mocha-san remembered how exactly they played and realized that none of her teammates even try to block the ball.

Now that they mention it... But I guess that's a relief rather than them hating me.

Mocha-san felt that the bravery she showed was just her being unnecessary for blocking the ball.

However, she was relieved at the same time that at the least they weren't angry at her for her poor performance.

"Sigh... I see. So it was just me being unnecessary."

"No! M, Mocha-san was great"

Class Rep Hitomi-san then think of something to cheer her up"

"Y... You were like a real shojo heroin"

"W-Where did you hear that?!"

"You were mumbling about it earlier... Was I not supposed to say that?"

"N-Never mind... Please forget about it."

"Anyway, Mocha-san was the person who contributed the most in our team"

"R-Really?"

I don't think I did that much though.

"You really did your best to receive and diverting the enemy's attention"

I... don't think that's a good compliment...

As Hitomi tried complimenting her, Mocha-san had flashbacks of how she practically became a meat target and even got hit hard enough in the face to even be brought to the infirmary.