Thirty-Six | Flashbacks

~Harry's POV

Waking up with my body entangled in Draco's was something that took me a while to get used to. Right now, however, it was amazing.

Everything about him was amazing.

What he did to me was amazing.

"Morning sunshine." Draco smiled.

I rolled my eyes. "Sunshine? Really?" 

He nodded and sat up, getting his artbook out and drawing. I sat up with him but he gently pushed me back down. "No, stay where you are. I want to turn my artwork into artwork."

"You what?"

"This." He points to my neck. "I consider that artwork. Now I want to draw it, so that if I ever forget it, I've got it right here in my book."

"You know photos exist, right?"

He shook his head. "It's not the same. Go back to sleep."

Usually when I sleep, I see flashbacks of what I don't want to see. But whenever I'm sleeping next to Hermione or in Draco's arms, I manage to get an uninterrupted few hours. 

So, instead of insisting on staying awake, I listen to him and go back to sleep.

Except since I wasn't in his arms, I didn't get peace.

"Boy!" Vernon walked up to me after Hagrid dropped me off at home. "Enjoy your stupid trip with that giant oaf?"

"I- Yes." I spoke boldly. If I managed to survive a killing curse, I can survive my uncle. "I know the truth about my parents."

My confidence began to fade as he walked towards me. The air felt tight and it was like I was stuck where I was.

"Oh really?" 

"Ye-" Fuck. I'm not one to stutter, but it felt like my words were caught in my throat. "Yes. My, erm, my parents died protecting me. And then I protected a whole world of people."

"They died for nothing." Vernon kicked my shin, causing me to collapse onto my knees. "You're a disgusting, waste of life faggot who killed his parents."

"I didn't-" I gasped as his hands wrapped around my throat. "I didn't- it wasn't me."

The air truly had gotten tight and I was fighting to breathe. My hands were tugging at Vernon's but it didn't work. He didn't let go.

Soon enough I could see stars and my vision was so blurred that Vernon's face had become fully unrecognisable. Only then did he let go.

I fell down, my hands being the only thing supporting me. I was gasping loudly, trying to get all the air back into my lungs. 

My arms were kicked and I fell, my glasses snapping in half as my face met the floor. Before I could get my glasses, I was lifted by the back of my shirt, the front of it quite literally choking me.

"You disgust me." Vernon spat in my face. "Your parents would be so disappointed if they saw you. You don't deserve to be here."

"That's not true." I didn't believe myself, yet I argued anyways.

It wasn't a good idea.

"It is. And I'll give you a lesson you've been asking for the moment you claimed yourself as a faggot."

What did he mean? What "lesson" have I missed? Surely nothing could be worse than anything he's done to me beforehand.

I was wrong.

Aunt Petunia and Dudley were out. The house was his and mine and if it wasn't, maybe things would've been different.

He dragged me to his room and chucked me towards his bed, my sight darkening as my head collided into the headboard loudly.

"Stay awake. You don't get to escape this." He slapped me back into consciousness. "You deserve this, you filthy freak."

He unbuckled his belt. 

Just belting then? Nothing new. I don't see the new lesson he plans on teaching, because he's done this before. What more could it be?

He hit me with the belt, sending me back to the headboard yet again. But then he did something rather unexpected. 

Using the belt, Vernon tied my hands together. My restricted movement arose panic in my mind. I felt even more trapped, and the air was thicker than it'd ever been.

He was naked from the bottom down when I looked up, and instantly I turned away. That sight was enough to scar me for life.

What happened next etched into my brain and would never leave.

"Open wide bitch."

I shot up, jumping out of bed, panting. I wasn't going to relive that. I refused to relive that. 

At that moment in my life, I was genuinely too scared and shocked to retreat to the cupboard. It didn't have my Hogwarts friends yet, of course, but it still existed. It had my parents, my aunt and cousin and my shortly-known school friends, including Jack.

I couldn't leave and escape to my mind. I had to endure every minute of what he did to me. Never would I be able to forget what he did and I hated it. 

That night I tried to kill myself for the first time. I got my sharpest blade and dug down so deep into my wrist that it took less than a minute for me to black out. 

I really wanted to die. However, I woke up three days later in a hospital, or something similar. Vernon took me to a friend of his, who stitched up my wrist and kept me alive. 

Because of that, I hated him indefinitely. I wasn't supposed to live.

Vernon took me home that day and I did it again. And again. And he didn't let me die. I was stuck with him for the next week, not let out of his sight.

Petunia and Dudley didn't know about it, and they never found out. Only Vernon knew about it, and I hated him for saving me.

He told me he needed his punching bag, housekeeping faggot slut to take care of him and his house. He told me I'd never be able to escape him until the day God himself takes me away.

I'd attempted many times after that. None of which were successful unfortunately. 

But I'd do it again. I'll never be perfectly okay until the day I leave this place, and I really, really hope that day comes soon.

foreshadowing