Ceremony Pt 1

Sniffling and tears hitting the floor can be heard inside the morgue. Several opulent citizens tenderly touch the urns of their late loved ones. In the corner of Takashi's eye, a nearby room grips his attention.

The recently dead covered in blankets of white. Scents of lavender and other herbs overpower the decay. The process of the pending ceremony makes him imagine himself as a corpse. Again.

Heracles and Artemis each lay a hand on his shoulders. Some assurance and hope that he will not end up like them.

Echo walks over to Narcissus and Georgios with a bouquet of blue irises in hand. The mortician near the pyre pours a flammable liquid over Michaelis' covered body.

Narcissus turns to Echo's hand on his back. With puffy red eyes, he walks into her embrace. Taki walks to Georgios and offers a hug to pay his respects. Georgios latches onto him.

"I'm sorry for your friend."

"Thank you for coming," he exhales like a leaf.

Artemis and Heracles embrace him as well.

"I'm so sorry, my love. I bought him some flowers and a song for him," Echo gently rests them on Michaelis' chest.

"Thank you, my love. He would love those." She got this man she didn't even know a nice bouquet. Where is mine?!

The mortician clasps his hands together. "Before I begin, are there any words you would like to say to your friend?"

Georgios shuffles forward. "Michaelis, I thank you for being there for me when I needed to talk to someone. Although you never took a lover, just know that you were loved by all of us. I pray you are at peace in Elysium."

You should be thanking me since I brought him. You would never have been that lucky without me, the vain demigod complains inside.

Echo embraces Georgios. He goes to wrap his arms around her for comfort, but a quick look from Narcissus stops him.

She lets go to take her lover's hand. "Michaelis, I only knew you for a short time, but you were kind to me and supported our love. I won't forget you. Rest in peace."

"May you hunt in peace in Elysium," Artemis states kindly.

"You seemed like a good man. Rest in peace," Takashi pays his respects followed by Heracles who says the same.

The mortician looks at Narcissus to say his part. The mountain nymph gently squeezes his hand to give him some courage.

"I wish I didn't take our friendship for granted. You didn't deserve that to happen to you. It's not the same without you, old friend. Although you didn't have an official home, you will live on in my heart. Every arrow I will shoot from now on will be in memory of you."

He nods to the mortician who lights a torch and throws it at the bottom of the pyre. Michaelis' prepared body doesn't smell foul from the fire consuming him. The roaring flames are paired with the gentle music coming from Echo's flute.

...

Heracles pats Georgios on the back. "How about a round of drinks on me?"

"That sounds-"

"I'm sorry. We have to be going now." the vain demigod interjects.

Artemis, Heracles, and Taki raise their eyebrows.

"Where are you going, my future husband?" Echo's eyes waver out of concern.

Narcissus holds her hands in his.  "Not too far. I just don't want us to linger here for too long. Michaelis wouldn't want that for us. But I want to talk to you about something important before I leave here," he folds a key into her hand. "I will be there shortly."