Why?

Ella P.O.V.

As much as I tried, my heart wouldn't compose itself with the rings of blue and black around her neck. I am happy right now- I truly am, the war has ended, and now no more death, no more of my pack members suffer, but my mate's pain did dampen that joy. People were joyous and Mrs. Reyes even threw a big post-war bash for the entire pack, not that I think my mates will make it there with how exhausted they are.

Noticing my lingering gaze on her, she gave me a kind and consoling smile. She turned her head towards the door, contemplating leaving, and spoke up "I gotta-" before she was cut off with a sharp "no" by Grey making her look up at him in confusion.

Cami looked up at Grey and tilted her head in confusion, making the blue bruises pop out and hit me like daggers to the heart. It was impossible to see a mate in pain, even more, painful with a psychic wolf-like mine.

"Grey?", she said in a questioning tone.

His sharp and analytical eyes lingered around her neck before rising to meet her eyes, "Cami, I'm not letting you leave with those on your neck"- leaving no room for debate.

"Grey- listen, Aurora's already healed the insides, bruises just take longer and I bruise like a peach anyway", she replied while cupping the side of his face with her palm.

"Just- just stay baby", pleaded Grey in a soft, husky voice with pleading eyes that were impossible to resist.

She sighed with a smile, melted by Grey's words, and nodded with an "okay" making a wide smile pull up on Grey's face. 

"You'll stay?" squeaked out Jace from the doorframe- freshly showered after Cami and Grey.

"Yep", Cami said, playfully popping the P of the word.

Grey on the other hand looked like he could fall asleep whilst still standing. With how little he's been sleeping ever since the beginning of the war, he is fatigued and the darkness under his eyes is evidence of that fatigue and sleeplessness. Barely keeping his eyes open, barely keeping his mind on the conversation.

"Grey, go to sleep before you fall babe", Cami said softly, noticing what I did too.

"mm", he hummed out before regaining enough consciousness to say "Sleep with me". He laid himself down before grabbing Cami's hand and pulling hard, making her fall on his chest.

The suddenness of it apparently caught her off-guard and left her wide-eyed in response. I think I saw her flinch against him before she composed herself with deep breaths and shut her eyes tightly. Her pacing heart going at the speed of a train with panic. But Grey was too out of it already to notice.

Why?

Why flinch after being held by her own mate?

Why the panic?

"Cami, are you okay?", I asked her in a hushed tone, concern painted in stripes across my face forming into a frown.

With a deep breath and a muffled "yes", she adjusted herself against Grey such that she wasn't lying on top of him anymore, rather was laying her head on his bicep and had an arm around his torso. Feeling comfortable finally she gave me and Jace a smile before nuzzling into Grey's neck.

Satisfied for the moment with the situation, Jace pulled me out of the room and shut the lights to let our mates sleep in peace. With one last glance back at their entangled selves, we left them and headed for Mrs. Reyes' party.

-----------------------------------------------

ヾ(•ω•')o

-------------------------------------------------

a/n

HIE HIE turtlesss

BONUS CHAPTER- uploaded for my favorite reader whose birthday it is today.

everyone say happy birthday Ewan.

(I know it's short but this is all I can write in the middle of the week)

Till next time :)